Lead Foot

Default Encounter: Your Opinions.....

So today I was off work and running some errands. Was on a 6 lane interstate in the far right hand lane. Traffic was moderate and I was in the right lane because my exit was approaching. Just as I was about to exit, I get a faint blip of Ka. Arrow was forward. I start scanning and see the LEO (a sherriff in a Ford Expedition) parked in the median, perpendicular to the interstate.

Ka never ramped up past 2 dots, went away then came back, only 2 dots. From my first alert, I was only about 30 yards from the LEO. I literally was looking out my drivers side window 2 seconds after I got the alert. So, is something wrong with my V1? Was this b/c the radar was shooting across the interstate rather than into oncoming traffic? Your thoughts are appreciated. Want to make sure that nothing is wrong with my Ka detection. This is the first Ka alert I have had in a few weeks. Thanks

Experienced

Default Re: Encounter: Your Opinions.....

Granted I am no expert on the matter so i'm sure a few other members will yell at me for this...

but

My personal opinion is that the traffic of cars was causing the Ka detection to work a little weird. He could have also had his gun laying on his seat as he was doing whatever else (cell phone.. etc) That is assuming of course this wasn't a dash mounted system.

There are a lot of variables that come into play when it comes to detection - I never immedietly just blame the detector as the hardware is rarely at fault.

Just my $.02

Speed Demon

Was he shooting the other direction or your lanes?

Speed Demon

Scary for sure....You could hope that he was using a radar with variable output (right?) such as the Stalker DSR 2X. If he had it on the lowest setting and was shooting I/O away from you, perhaps it makes sense that you would get such weak reflection? That's best case scenario, though...maybe time for a tune up just in case?

Edit: SpeedinLancer's theory about the gun on the seat sounds like some more wishful thinking...maybe I like his better....

rc
    Last edited by robcollins5; 02-23-2009 at 10:11 PM.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by M6D View Post
    Was he shooting the other direction or your lanes?
    He was shooting my lanes of traffic, not the other side. The idea of the gun on the seat is interesting. When I passed him, I noticed he was writing something down on a tablet, not paying attention to traffic. The position of the car would lend truth to the radar unit being a free hand gun and not a dash mounted unit.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by robcollins5 View Post
    Scary for sure....You could hope that he was using a radar with variable output (right?) such as the Stalker DSR 2X. If he had it on the lowest setting and was shooting I/O away from you, perhaps it makes sense that you would get such weak reflection? That's best case scenario, though...maybe time for a tune up just in case?

rc
    No such thing. The Stalker and every other radar out there, have only one output power. The sensitivity setting only adjusts the level of radar reception.

Since we're all just guessing, here's mine. I'm assuming the front of his car was facing your side of the freeway. If not, reverse everything. I'm thinking the LEO was running laser in the median, but left his rear facing radar on. Being Ka, it is very directional. So, his radar is facing away from your side of the freeway and is being aimed at 90 degrees, the only detection you will get is funny bounces off of cars going the other direction. I'm also guessing it was 35.5Ka, since I think 34.7 or 33.8 would be easier to detect in this situation.

That probably made zero sense.

Speed Demon

I knew I'd get that damn variable output/reception thing wrong. Anyway, DJ's made a lot more sense...do they use laser in your area?

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    No such thing. The Stalker and every other radar out there, have only one output power. The sensitivity setting only adjusts the level of radar reception.

Since we're all just guessing, here's mine. I'm assuming the front of his car was facing your side of the freeway. If not, reverse everything. I'm thinking the LEO was running laser in the median, but left his rear facing radar on. Being Ka, it is very directional. So, his radar is facing away from your side of the freeway and is being aimed at 90 degrees, the only detection you will get is funny bounces off of cars going the other direction. I'm also guessing it was 35.5Ka, since I think 34.7 or 33.8 would be easier to detect in this situation.

That probably made zero sense.
    Nope. Made perfect sense. The position of the car is was the typical laser stance. Yes, laser is used in my area. Not sure though about the rear facing radar, I would agree if it were any other type of LEO vehicle than the Ford Expedition. Usually the rear facing units are only on our state troopers. I guess the takeaway is that most likely the detection was ok given the circumstances and nothing is wrong with my V1. For God sakes, its only a little over 2 months old!