Experienced

Default V1 Hardwire Dilemma

I got my V1 just last week and I've been thinking about hardwiring it. The few reasons I really really want to do this are that I'm getting sick of the power cable hanging down for everyone to see; and the other reason is that I can see people eyeing my RD in traffic and at stop lights and everyone seems to make a bubble or many times a "U" around me and mimic my speed. I don't know if this is happening to other windshield mounters but it gets really ANNOYING...

I have a few issues about hardwiring the unit. First off, I have no clue what I'm doing. I've never done any interior work in a car before. Next, I don't want to pay a pro to install it for me. Lastly, I know a friend who CAN do it but I know in a week his friends will bust out my window and steal it.

Basically, what I was thinking was just a basic hardwire - Power goes from the V1 into the ceiling, down the A-column, into the fuse box. Then the concealed display would be mounted by my tachometer. I have bubbles under the RVM and about a 4" tint strip at the top of the windshield.

I was planning on having the suction cups attach on the tint strip leaving the horn and laser lens just below the tint strip with an unobstructed view. The rear facing horn would have an unobstructed view too.

I have a 2004 toyota corolla 4-door. I've looked all over the internet and found DIY for BMWs and some trucks, but nothing for a sedan like mine.

If anyone can give me some advice, links, ANYTHING, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (62.4 KB, 32 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (71.3 KB, 33 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (125.2 KB, 32 views)

Professional

Default Re: V1 Hardwire Dilemma

if you dont want to hardwire, buy a 10 feet extension cord from walmart plug it in your cig lighter outlet and on the other end plugin you v1 adapter and hide the wire by the side wall till the mirror side.

it looks great and i do it that way, you cant see a wire hanging anywhere.

Speed Demon

I'd love to see you come over to the "Hardwired" side. Your V1 came with the Hardwire hookup, which is extra easy to use. As you stated, you want to run your RJ-11 Power cord along the inside edge of the headliner and down the A frame. Depending on where your fuse box is will dictate which side of the car it should come down. To secure the power cord in the middle of the windshield, I put a ball of electrical tape on the wire, tucked it into the headliner, and pushed up....that created a sort of burp-in-the-windpipe effect that holds the cord secure so it doesn't sag or otherwise come out from its hiding place. Once you get under the dashboard you have a couple choices. Take a look at your fuse panel. If you have unused "switched" fuse slots, you can use one of those. Otherwise you can pick a fuse that is used for something that you KNOW is switched (such as the radio) and remove it. If you look at the attachment, you'll see a "Tap-A-Circuit" contraption. This is available at any local hardware store. What you do is plug it into either an empty slot, or a slot that is usually used but whose fuse you remove. Make sure if you remove a fuse to piggy-back that you insert that fuse, plus a new 5amp fuse, into the tap-a-circuit. If you just use a blank spot on your fuse panel you can just put two new 5amp fuses into the tap-a-circuit. Using the splicer provided with you hardwire kit, clamp onto the tap-a-circuit wire. Tape of the end. Plug in your components and you're done! Easy as pie!

rc

Edit: "Switched" means that the circuit does not have power when the car is turned off. =)
    Last edited by robcollins5; 02-25-2009 at 05:41 PM.

Radar Fanatic

From what you said it sounds like you understand what to do. No better way to learn than to get out there and do it. On most vehicles it is very easy to run the wire over and down the A post and find a hot fuse to hook up to. Save the money and learn how. You won't regret the hardwire or doing it yourself after your done.

Lead Foot

It also seems like many vehicles have a hardwiring guide out there. Not sure if one exists for your specific model but it's worth Googling.

In most cases you're just removing trim pieces and some simple wiring.

Speed Demon

I forgot to mention this....Keep in mind that you needn't worry too much about "hiding" it behind the RVM because the unit goes dark (the lights don't work) when you have the concealed display mounted. =)

rc

Experienced

Tank you all for the responses! The only thing I'm concerned about is getting under the dash. I'm gonna go online and look for a general guide for hardwiring in my car. When I get done I'll post my pics.

Thanks again!

Experienced

- New thread created
    Last edited by stevo1569; 02-26-2009 at 03:06 PM.