Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default Where Do You Mount Your Concealed Display?

I've noticed a lot of people have concealed displays and recommend them. I just can't seem to justify or figure out how people are using these if you're taking your v1 out each time you leave the car like I do.

So here's my question. Where do you mount your concealed display? How do you use it versus the built-in display on the v1?

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Where Do You Mount Your Concealed Display?

My V1 is hardwired and built into the headliner.

My CD is installed in the dash, I cut a hole into my dash next to my Tach, then removed the rear casing on the CD and used wire to hold the front of the display firm with the circuit board, then beneath the dash I have a remote audio adapter so that I can easily adjust the volume and turn the V1 on and off without people behind me seeing I'm making any adjustments. The CD is installed just o the right of the tach so walking up the vehicle on the drivers side it is nearly invisible while on, and certainly not in view of and cars passing (like that ever happens lol) or being passed. So quite frankly you have to be in the car or running a newer spectre unit to know I've got an RD, and I don't lose an once of function with the V1.

Sorry for the long post, a picture is worth 1000 words but for security purposes I'd rather not post photos, as my vehicle falls into a pretty unique category and would be easy for others to identify, and as I never pull the V1 out I don't need to draw any extra attention.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Motor On View Post
    My V1 is hardwired and built into the headliner.

My CD is installed in the dash, I cut a hole into my dash next to my Tach, then removed the rear casing on the CD and used wire to hold the front of the display firm with the circuit board, then beneath the dash I have a remote audio adapter so that I can easily adjust the volume and turn the V1 on and off without people behind me seeing I'm making any adjustments. The CD is installed just o the right of the tach so walking up the vehicle on the drivers side it is nearly invisible while on, and certainly not in view of and cars passing (like that ever happens lol) or being passed. So quite frankly you have to be in the car or running a newer spectre unit to know I've got an RD, and I don't lose an once of function with the V1.

Sorry for the long post, a picture is worth 1000 words but for security purposes I'd rather not post photos, as my vehicle falls into a pretty unique category and would be easy for others to identify, and as I never pull the V1 out I don't need to draw any extra attention.
    So with this setup, do you have to look at your dash near your tach to see the display?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Samir View Post
    So with this setup, do you have to look at your dash near your tach to see the display?
    Yes I do, but it's incorporated into my scanning before I even got the V1, and I'm good with the audio alerts when Xband is off, also my speed is displayed digitally in the tach so if I'm looking for arrows and band and strength I'm also getting where my speed is at the same time, allowing me to gather the information all in one split seocnd glance and make my desicions. Without the CD I'd be looking at the headliner which is a much further reach in my car, as far as eyes leaving the road goes.

Radar Fanatic

I have metal screws with washers that have a mount into the metal of the roof. I fed the wiring through the roof as well down the driver's pillar.

I had a concealed display customized and I was able to fit it into my gauge cluster one day.

Last edited by noTe; 03-20-2009 at 11:03 AM.

I mount my CD on the bottom ledge of the instrument cluster. The reason for that, I have a ’99 Camry, it is a low sitting car, mounting the CD where it is hanging from the top of instrument cluster with Velcro ppl can see in and defeats the purpose of the CD, so it goes to the bottom of the cluster. I can still keep my eyes on the road and do a quick glance at the CD. I go by audio alerts first and concern myself with little flashing lights second. And using experience in certain terrain and I'm fast enough on the brake to keep the big flashing lights off my tail including I/O.

Also, if I get a SUV or truck that gets along side and has prying eyes I can toggle the active display from the CD to the V1 main unit which is above my rear view mirror and out of sight of someone next to me. Although anyone behind me can get a visual. I use a Remote Audio Adapter mounted near the back of my center console by the arm rest. With no movement of my arm I can toggle the active display between the CD and V1 main unit, change program modes, A, little L and to large L and also use it as a mute button.

I also remove my V1 and CD unit every time I leave the car and either take it with me or lock it in the glove box out of sight in a V1 carry case. The only thing exposed is the visor clip mounted on the headliner and the Velcro pad on the instrument cluster bottom ledge. The wire for the CD tucks into the steering column right behind the steering wheel (right / console side) and the wire for the V1 tucks in under the visor clip, seamless and quick.

BC

Good Citizen

Great stuff here.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Motor On View Post
    ...if I'm looking for arrows and band and strength I'm also getting where my speed is at the same time, allowing me to gather the information all in one split seocnd glance and make my desicions.
    Hmmm...I never thought of this. I usually have an idea what speed I'm at as I'll usually put cruise on at a particular speed. When the v1 goes off, I want to know if anyone is too close behind me for me to bury my brakes, so I keep it mounted near the rearview.

I'm trying to understand how everyone else uses their v1 and how a concealed display may be of benefit to me.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge Cables View Post
    I'm fast enough on the brake to keep the big flashing lights off my tail including I/O.
    Two feet driving? At least that's what I do.

Sounds like a pretty slick system you have installed.

Radar Fanatic

I have a concealed display in each car, and only one V1. It's simple to swap the V1 back and forth, and since I have a CD in each car it's already set up.

In my truck I have the CD stuck to the 'hood' of the instrument cluster, to get all alert information and speed information at once.
    In my car I have the CD installed in the center A/C vent. I wanted this install to be more stealthy, and it wouldn't work well in the instrument cluster 'hood.'