Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default upgrade to pop mode on v1

I just found my dads old valentine that he doesnt use no more, when I checked for updates on valentines website they said i could update to pop mode, is it really worth the money am i going to see the difference

Default Re: upgrade to pop mode on v1

forgot to add they want 140 dollars and im in socali

forgot to add they want 140 dollars and i live in socali

Lead Foot

What version is it, a 1.7 or 1.8? If it is a 1.8 you really don't need to do anything. Unless they are running pop in your state you are better off without that feature because it increases falsing. I've not upgraded mine and it is much quieter than the ones with the pop feature.

It has 1.8 i was surprised because its so old hoe could i find out if there using pop in my state

Lead Foot

Of course you can go to V1's website and put the serial number in under the upgrades section and it will tell you whether you should upgrade. If you have v 1.8 it's going to say you already have the latest and best upgrade and the only thing you are missing is pop if that is run in your state. The only other recommendation would be to consider sending it in for a tune up to make sure it's in top working condition; this might be useful especially if it's been laying around for awhile. Usually they don't charge anything for the first tune up, thereafter it's only $45. Regardless, hook it up and take for a spin and see how it does yourself. Also, for a new user these boards are an excellent resource of information.

Speed Demon

Might I suggest that during your test drive you drop your father off at the nearest mental institution? Stowing his V1 in a junk drawer could be a sign of serious cranial damage. Just a thought.... In other news, congratz! You just got a priceless piece of machinery for free!

rc

Good Citizen

I had a V1 I bought in 2000 (v 1.7). Last fall I upgraded to a new 1.8 (Valentine called it an instant upgrade). I liked my original detector better. The new one is bad for inacurate bogey counter. In areas with lots of radar the numbers get so high its useless. My other complaint is that it does false more (I hate Cobra's) and J's them out which is almost as annoying as the false. I've also had it J as I met a squad car (not sure if it was radar or leakage from his gun in standby, but still makes me nervous to ignore a J). For these reasons I regret upgrading.

But, I work at a Ford dealership and I can say that the newer squads around here are equipped with MPG Bee III radar with POP mode. Not sure if they are using the POP mode (I've never been hit with it), but they are equiped so I'd be nervous not having this on my detector.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by xcr440sp View Post
    I had a V1 I bought in 2000 (v 1.7). Last fall I upgraded to a new 1.8 (Valentine called it an instant upgrade). I liked my original detector better. The new one is bad for inacurate bogey counter. In areas with lots of radar the numbers get so high its useless. My other complaint is that it does false more (I hate Cobra's) and J's them out which is almost as annoying as the false. I've also had it J as I met a squad car (not sure if it was radar or leakage from his gun in standby, but still makes me nervous to ignore a J). For these reasons I regret upgrading.

But, I work at a Ford dealership and I can say that the newer squads around here are equipped with MPG Bee III radar with POP mode. Not sure if they are using the POP mode (I've never been hit with it), but they are equiped so I'd be nervous not having this on my detector.

Where do you live?

Power User

You pretty much sum up the drawbacks to upgrading from the pre-POP units. POP being enabled is going increase those J's. (I think its option 'J' in programming for a reason. )

I don't think you would know you've been hit with it, as the V1 doesn't do anything special. (?)

POP is 'illegal', but I guess to the same effect so is picking up your dry cleaning in the CV. Who is going to enforce that?