Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Almost Banned

Default LEO running BOTH Ka and K at the same time?

Do you ever see a single LEO running both K and Ka at the same time?
    I've seen it twice this week...may be the same officer both days, may be the same Charger..I can't be sure. He was in the same location two different times this week, and both times I approached him with c/o K, and what seemed like i/o Ka.

Seems wierd to me since I've never noticed it before.
    Last edited by RadarKid; 03-27-2009 at 12:39 PM.

Experienced

Default Re: LEO running BOTH Ka and K at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by RadarKid View Post
    Do you ever see a single LEO running both K and Ka at the same time?
    I've seen it twice this week...may be the same officer both days, may be the same Charger..I can't be sure. He was in the same location two different times this week, and both times I approached him with c/o K, and what seemed like i/o Ka.

Seems wierd to me since I've never noticed it before.
    i remember reading a thread that had exactly the same situation you were in. Only that there were the leos in the car and the one using i/o ka was teaching the leo how to use it. It may be a sign that that town is upgrading to ka and leo are being taught how to use i/o. ill try to find that thread.

+1 to rockets, yup I remember reading that thread, upgrading a town from K to Ka.

Or you could have had what I ran into last time I was headed back home from Atlanta. I was nearing the GA / SC border, a LEO was up ahead of me alternating using I/O in both Ka and X! As he slowed down in the left lane to flip in the median and head south I passed him slowly in the right lane of I-85 to see what was up. He had a dual Ka (front and rear antennas) and also he evidently got out of his closet an old MPH X gun mounted on the front dash with I/O! The MPH antenna was black with a gray/silver stripe on the side saying MPH. I think it was a K-55 if I’m not mistaken. Looked like he was just trying to mess with those of us having RD’s by flipping between the two radar guns. I guess he figured anyone on the other side of the road with an RD couldn’t see well enough into his vehicle to try and figure out what the heck was going on.

BC

In NY state , in the cruiser , on 87 , the Leo had laser and K , this day he had
    chosen the laser , V-1 stayed completely blind ....ticket 82/55 .....since then
    I use protection from both

Yoda of Radar

This is ghosting. For some strong K band sources, my V1 will ghost a Ka band contact. I have one spot where I get this every single time. In this spot, there are about 4 K band sources, including two K band speed signs directly across the street from each other, one for each direction.

Lead Foot

I believe I have seen this on LEOs in our area several times.

It starts out as a K and then moves to a K and Ka with 2 on the bogey counter when used c/o. In i/o situations, you get full strength K and Ka with 2 on the bogey, Ka being the strongest signal.

SlapMyFro

that might be a defect..
    I have never seen that kind of ghosting.
    I thought ghosting is when it shows 1 or more bogeys on the same band, jumping bands like that dont seem right.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by SlapMyFro View Post
    that might be a defect..
    I have never seen that kind of ghosting.
    I thought ghosting is when it shows 1 or more bogeys on the same band, jumping bands like that dont seem right.
    Any time a RD shows an extra contact that doesn't exist, that's ghosting. The band of that extra contact is irrelevant. It certainly is a defect, but I sent it in to fix this problem and while it did come back much better than before, it's certainly was not 100% fixed. I think my V1 is getting worse again. I might have to send it in again.

Djrams80, I remember one of the members having this problem with ghosting, maybe happya$$, videotaping it and sending the tape and the V1 to VR for repair. Showed a local LEO parked in his driveway and the V1 registering like 3 on the bogey counter. If the LEO had two antennas (front and rear) then a bogey of 2 is OK, but definitely not 3 and definitely not jumping bands. Never read what came outta that repair by VR.

If yours is deteriorating again I think I would send it in like you mentioned, note to the tech that it is a re-do of a prior repair and request all new internal boards since they were unable to locate the problem the first go around and it is acting up again. Least you'll basically get a new V1 inside except for the housing.

BC

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    This is ghosting. For some strong K band sources, my V1 will ghost a Ka band contact. I have one spot where I get this every single time. In this spot, there are about 4 K band sources, including two K band speed signs directly across the street from each other, one for each direction.
    That happens when I point my Bushnell point blank against my ix.