Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default I-75 Adventure with my V-1

I wish I had the camera ready and rolling on this occurance on I-75 northbound in Northern Michigan (north of Gaylord).....going my usual "over the PSL" in the 70mph zone.

Going north on I-75, I was approaching an overpass over a little ridge and a soft turn to the right. I have driven this route many many times over the years but never came across this.

My V-1 picked up KaBand (forward arrow) a little more than a 1/4 mile from the overpass. After a couple seconds, I sensed it was remaining C/O KaBand....as it got strong, quick.

I went under the overpass still looking for the cop. Once past it by 20-30 yards, I looked at my V-1 and the behind arrow was lit up full strength.

I looked in my side mirrow and saw the Michigan State Trooper "dug in" on the median side of the pillars, severly hidden and having C/O radar facing northbound clocking cars going away from it. Kinda freaked me out! Never seen them do it like this in Northern Michigan! I did not see the car at all approaching the overpass from the south.

The rear detection was good up to about 3/8 mile before it fizzled and died quickly due to turn in road.

Overall, I was pleased with the V-1 detection in this matter. IF it were I/O and there was no rabbit in front of me, I would have been toast. Then again, I was not going too much over the PSL and Northern Michigan police are not to gun-ho on people doing less than 10 over the PSL.

Professional

Default Re: I-75 Adventure with my V-1

You really have got to love CO Ka band. Glad to hear of your experience it is reassuring to know your V1 still has its game on. IO is another matter in and of itself entirely, but glad to hear of the experience none the less.

Ace

Thanks for tsharing. Funny, living in Florida I figured this story would b somewhere on the east coast! Forget sometimes how far I-75 reaches.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by jwrussell View Post
    Thanks for tsharing. Funny, living in Florida I figured this story would b somewhere on the east coast! Forget sometimes how far I-75 reaches.
    It reaches all the way up to the International Bridge seperating Sault Ste Marie MI and Sault Ste Marie, Ontario!

Honestly...once you get north of Bay City on I-75 the traffic thins A LOT (outside of tourism/holiday weekends, etc). From the Sault MI to the Mackinac Bridge on I-75 SB, I trailed the same car for 45 miles and no cars passed us and we passed no cars. Few and far inbetween!

Wow. I could only wish for that kind of light traffic down here. Then again, it is time for the snowbirds to head back north.

Speed Demon

Make sure you have the X band on. I've heard it's still in use up north. That would really suck if you got nailed by X.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by lordhawhaw View Post
    Make sure you have the X band on. I've heard it's still in use up north. That would really suck if you got nailed by X.
    Never have had the Xband off. Never will. The ONE time I take it off, I will get nailed.

I live in Florida. As I understand it, X is not used by LE here. And there is a MASSIVE X-band signal just outside my neighborhood. PITA to have to mute that every single time I leave.

Good Citizen

[quote=jwrussell;528556]
    Make sure you have the X band on. I've heard it's still in use up north. That would really suck if you got nailed by X.[/quote]

PITA to have to mute that every single time I leave.
    9500IX

JUST KIDDING!

Radar Fanatic

hey icandrive55, wait until you see this same tactic used to run laser and you get tagged in the rear. I have run across it on northbound 127 between lansing and mount pleasant.