Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V1 Suction Cups

Speed Demon

Question V1 Suction Cups

Hello Everyone,

My v1 suction cups stayed on for almost 2 months with out any problem. I only took down my v1 every night to put it the glove box. Last night the suction cups gave up and v1 fell on my lap while driving.

I have read lot of posts on double sticky tape, hair spary and so on..... What really works the best?

Thanks

Power User

Default Re: V1 Suction Cups

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Then put in suction cups and and turn off stove. Let the suction cups sit in there for a few minuets. I did this last August and haven't had a problem since.

Good Citizen

Get Adams brand suction cups from Hobby Lobby, Michael's, or other craft store. They are much better and last longer. I have read that you can momentarily drop the cups into "almost boiling" water to revive them, I haven't tried this, because I have the Adams suction cups .

Lead Foot

The most effective thing I've tried is simply washing them with soap and water. Be sure to wipe them with a clean cloth to wipe all the water off and then air dry.

I used some fast orange last time since I didn't have any soap around and that seemed to work even better. They're getting dirty again (unticking), so I'll try the fast orange again and see if I get the same results.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by newkid View Post
    Hello Everyone,

My v1 suction cups stayed on for almost 2 months with out any problem. I only took down my v1 every night to put it the glove box. Last night the suction cups gave up and v1 fell on my lap while driving.

I have read lot of posts on double sticky tape, hair spary and so on..... What really works the best?
    A mount that doesn't use suction cups.

Seriously, the V1 suction cups do suck (pun intended) after a while. Yes, your V1 does come with spares, but eventually those will all fail, as well. Best to get a better mount before that happens.

Old Timer

make sure the windsheild is warm...cold never sticks

Speed Demon

I'm actually thinking about hardwiring it. I'm starting to read the previous posts about hardwiring V1.

Any suggestions??? From what I read so far its easy project - not timing consuming - but just have to plan it.

Experienced

u used super lock fasteners

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Space Wrangler View Post
    Get Adams brand suction cups from Hobby Lobby, Michael's, or other craft store. They are much better and last longer. I have read that you can momentarily drop the cups into "almost boiling" water to revive them, I haven't tried this, because I have the Adams suction cups .
    +1 on this. The ones from Michael's go for months, even with our MN winters, before needed to be reset. Hard wiring keeps it from crashing if they do let loose.

Experienced

I thought I saw an install (maybe REBinc?) that used some 3M Dual Lock, which is what EZPass uses. Two small squares IIRC.

Edit: I found his install. Click here

The image, and I hope REB doesn't mind:

I might do this myself, since I'm so particular about getting the RD back in place after taking it down (parking on the street, or dropping off for service). This would let me get it back in place every time!
    Last edited by gig103; 04-10-2009 at 05:27 PM.