Default Mounting High Question.. '03 Jetta

Ok, so Mr. Valentine advocates mounting high, however here's my issue.

In my '03 Jetta it looks like if I mount high, its' going to completely obliterate the view of the laser sensor to the rear. The laser sensor would be looking directly into the rear headliner. Fortunately, the last time I had the windshield replaced as a result of a rock hit they gave me one without a sunband. I didn't really use the sunband so it's not an issue and the detector COULD be moved up there above the mirror.

Right now the detector is mounted under my rear view mirror and it seems to do well. I'm going to be finding a location for my concealed display this weekend and I'd like to move the detector to the best location this weekend and shorten the lead wire that pokes out of the headliner.

Is this recommendation based on the fact that most laser hits come from the front and that rear laser isn't that large of an issue?

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Mounting High Question.. '03 Jetta

While the V1's laser detection is by far the best in the business, it's not going to (or very very very rarely) save you from a laser ticket. If you're really worried about laser, jammers are the way to go.

Speed Demon

Mount it high. The chances of the cop NOT giving you a ticket because he CAN'T see your RD are better than the chances of you NOT getting a ticket because he shot you late as a result of RD warning.

rc

Yoda of Radar

Best mounting location for a V1 in a Mk4 Jetta. Rear laser detection works perfectly.

Not that it will save you, of course.

Last edited by JDS; 04-21-2009 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDS View Post
    Best mounting location for a V1 in a Mk4 Jetta. Rear laser detection works perfectly.
    Nice GLI

Does this prevent you from putting the visor down? I was thinking of putting it on the passenger side of the mirror.
    Last edited by DonnieZ; 04-21-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Radar Fanatic

If i can see your V1 from the front of your car, i can steal it. You need a tint strip so no one from the outside can see the radar. The worse part of a radar theft is the broken glass left in the door, rain, or being out of town. Your pick. I would agree v1 is great for laser but owning a v1 and playing with an Ultralyte, I can tell you the rear lidar alert is useless. The front may give you some warning. Even if you get a cheap zr-3, its better than nothing. With everyone wanting JTG, we all just need 3 seconds to slow down. Look at all the test videos for all the jammers, in almost all cases of PT, you still have a buch of time to slow down. My ZR-4 + veil has saved my a few times.
    2000 accord
    9500CI
    v1
    veiled everything shinny
    no front plate in Florida

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieZ View Post
    Nice GLI
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieZ
    Does this prevent you from putting the visor down? I was thinking of putting it on the passenger side of the mirror.
    I can put the visor down most of the way, but not completely.

Of course, when I take the V1 out of the clip, the visor goes down completely.

Quote Originally Posted by DrCoke View Post
    If i can see your V1 from the front of your car, i can steal it.
    I only have the V1 mounted when I drive. Whenever I park the car, I unclip the V1 and the Garmin and put them away.

Quote Originally Posted by DrCoke
    I would agree v1 is great for laser but owning a v1 and playing with an Ultralyte, I can tell you the rear lidar alert is useless. The front may give you some warning. Even if you get a cheap zr-3, its better than nothing. With everyone wanting JTG, we all just need 3 seconds to slow down. Look at all the test videos for all the jammers, in almost all cases of PT, you still have a buch of time to slow down. My ZR-4 + veil has saved my a few times.
    2000 accord
    9500CI
    v1
    veiled everything shinny
    no front plate in Florida
    I generally consider the rear laser detection useless, whereas the front laser detection has saved me multiple times. I have almost no IR reflectivity on the front (I've modified the car to be completely black in front with Veil-coated headlights), so I have a couple of seconds between a laser alert and actually getting clocked.

However, even though the rear laser alert shouldn't be worth anything...I was able to miraculously brake down from about 124 to 92 before a LEO got a reading, the one time I got hit by rear laser. He might have just been sloppy, I'll never know.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by JDS View Post

Not that it will save you, of course.

i tryed mounting my v1 on the top of my windshield but the curve on the windshield is a problem. And the rd doesnt point out stright.Its always more to the left or right Anyone having this issuse ?

Radar Fanatic

It won't matter if it's a couple degrees off.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by robcollins5 View Post
    Mount it high. The chances of the cop NOT giving you a ticket because he CAN'T see your RD are better than the chances of you NOT getting a ticket because he shot you late as a result of RD warning.

rc
    if its mounted high and you get pulled over and the cop dont see it, he is probably retarded.
    They are trained to look into your car and within seconds they can see pretty much everything in your car.
    I dont think the V1 will be out of sight if you mount it next to the mirror, sorry..
    They are not as dumb as some people here think they are.
    I see V1s in vettes and other low cars where they are mounted next or above the mirror by driving next to them.
    I dont see how how a cop will miss it.
    Last edited by SlapMyFro; 06-13-2009 at 02:45 AM.