Default v1 came modified from Valentine?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.
    According to this.

Ask Mike - Report #3

When the V1 is reprogrammed P is displayed in the start up.

"If the unit has been changed, P will appear briefly in the Bogey Counter soon after V1 is switched on (after the lamps-on test, but before the Mode indicator appears.)"

Well I bought my V1 directly from Mike Valentine, via valentineone.com. I have been using it for a while (arrived on 4/20/09) and noticed this P, I haven't modified the V1 at all, so.. why is my V1 saying it has been modified, when I havent modified it? Does it come modified from the factory? is it not working correctly?
    Last edited by ryrules1; 05-06-2009 at 09:22 PM.

Professional

Default Re: v1 came modified from Valentine?

I suspect that you see P o P indicating POP is enabled. If the settings have been changed you will see a P and then it will go P o P and then to whatever mode you last were in (A,l, or L)

You can always enter programming mode and ensure all arrows are UP.

Ace

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_Racer View Post
    I suspect that you see P o P indicating POP is enabled. If the settings have been changed you will see a P and then it will go P o P and then to whatever mode you last were in (A,l, or L)

You can always enter programming mode and ensure all arrows are UP.

Ace

x2, your most likely seeing P o P... if not, its possible you got a returned unit from them that was put in the 'new' pile, and someone changed the programming options before sending it back and it never got fixed... I doubt it though.

Professional
    west coast of the ___American Corporatocracy___ X-band is alive-deadly-expensive

On my 3.872:

more noticeable than the 'P' is the repeated flashing of all active band indicator lights, accompanied by flashing of MOST* of the strength indicator lights. THEN the P-o-P sequence.

*a visual representation of K-band muting(no, I can't make practical use of that info)

to demonstrate this, temporarily turn off X-band, and restart. You'll notice a lot more visual info than just the 'P'. (Turn X-band back on)

I made a reference-sheet, hopefully simpler than deciphering Mikes Lab, more printer-freindly too. I am interested in feedback from all skill-levels.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by OldGoat; 05-07-2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: to actually attach the file :eek:

Power User

Even if it was a returned unit, I am willing to bet it is inspected and returned to factory specs, so what you are seeing is POP. Let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by focalcivic View Post
    Even if it was a returned unit, I am willing to bet it is inspected and returned to factory specs, so what you are seeing is POP. Let us know.
    yes, I am seeing POP, I turned off X band and Saw P then POP. Thank you all.

Lead Foot

Maybe they are trying to compete with that guy selling the custom programmed V1s?

Quote Originally Posted by justin81 View Post
    Maybe they are trying to compete with that guy selling the custom programmed V1s?
    But remember -- he custom programs them which is something that I don't think that you can do on your own!

Power User

I had a conversation with the guy who markets those V1's a bit back, and he had some interesting things to say actually:

(1) His company does a lot of business out of the country (in fact most of his filled orders are for non-US)

(2) He offers a 5-year warranty service on the V1's that he sells.

While I'm not thrilled about the marketing of the automute, I do revert my initial harsh criticism of his business -- those two services are fairly valuable.