Thread: V1 Programming

Experienced

Default V1 Programming

So I've been playing around with the programming of my new V1 and had a question for you in regards to the Ka sensitivity option (#5). Is it true that when you adjust option number 5 in the program menu it will actually increase Ka band sensitivity? The V1 report reads "This section allows you to adjust the response of the signal-strength meter for Ka band only. V1's radar and laser sensitivity will not be changed".

So, if this option is changed, Ka band will yield higher sensitivity? Why wouldn't this be a default setting from Valentine? I don't know about you guys, but I have only had a handful of false Ka band alerts in my years of operating detectors, although Ka band falsing may be more prominent in other areas.

One other question. Will disabling Ku band and Euro mode have any affect on the sensitivity, functionality of other bands? It's obviously not needed where I'm located.

Speed Demon

Default Re: V1 Programming

I had the Ka sensitivity turned to the option you're mentioning and mine falsed every single day. I didn't notice any increased sensitivity when I had the setting changed either, but others may know more details about that.

As for Ku, I have that disabled but I'm not sure what it does to sensitivity.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by TQUILL View Post
    I had the Ka sensitivity turned to the option you're mentioning and mine falsed every single day. I didn't notice any increased sensitivity when I had the setting changed either, but others may know more details about that.

As for Ku, I have that disabled but I'm not sure what it does to sensitivity.
    Thanks for your input. Anyone else with some advice? I don't want to tweak the settings too much until I'm positive with the outcome.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brettzo View Post
    So I've been playing around with the programming of my new V1 and had a question for you in regards to the Ka sensitivity option (#5). Is it true that when you adjust option number 5 in the program menu it will actually increase Ka band sensitivity? The V1 report reads "This section allows you to adjust the response of the signal-strength meter for Ka band only. V1's radar and laser sensitivity will not be changed".

So, if this option is changed, Ka band will yield higher sensitivity? Why wouldn't this be a default setting from Valentine? I don't know about you guys, but I have only had a handful of false Ka band alerts in my years of operating detectors, although Ka band falsing may be more prominent in other areas.

One other question. Will disabling Ku band and Euro mode have any affect on the sensitivity, functionality of other bands? It's obviously not needed where I'm located.
    It only changes the speed of your ramp up alert, no difference in sensitivity. Basically 9500ix ramp up mode.

Disabling shouldn't effect sensitivity but some have a different opinion.

Speed Demon

^+1. Affects only the ramp up. The ramp up is not so linear. But if KA is a real theart to you I would put KA band as more responsive. I have it like that and doesn't false too much. Except when others use cheap/useless RD

Power User

Think of #5 enabled as "When before it'd display 3 dots, now it displays 6 dots". It just artificially boosts the displayed strength of Ka alerts. It's useful if you regularly combat extremely low power Ka band photo radar where you don't get a full ramp-up to the source, or if you are driving through very heavy K-band and X-band falsing and want a Ka alert tone to dominate no matter what.

For most people, turning it on just means the detector gets pegged at 100% for 5 minutes on every Ka alert, preventing you from making a good distance judgement of the threat. I'd recommend keeping it off. Again, it does not change the distance at which it first alerts, just once it begins alerting the signal strength displayed will be roughly double what it should be.

Euro mode and Ku band come disabled by default. Enabling Euro in some of the logic modes will exclude some radar frequencies that can turn in better results against Euro photo radar, but please read Valentine's documentation on this before playing with that option.

Ku band is not used in the USA but is used in Europe. With a detector like the V1 I highly doubt enabling Ku band will noticeably affect performance of other bands, but turning it on of course will subject you to Ku band falsing from various equipment.

Experienced

Good points. I'm happy with X band off, POP off. I plan on leaving all other settings default.