Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K Band

Newcomer

Default X Band

Hi,

I am a new member and recently i just got the v1. So far the radar has been very well. One thing that doesnt seem to work good is x band. I live in cali and driving up and down the highway, i get constant threats of x. I decided to turn x band off itself completely. Worked great no more false threats, but it seems like none of the bands are working now. Yesterday driving down the highway, i saw at least 4-5 cops on the side of the freeway, but the radar got no threats at all.

My question is, if i turn x band off completely, does it effect all the other bands?

Thanks much guys!
    Last edited by nayr; 05-28-2009 at 03:35 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: K Band

Turning off K band will not effect other bands. The cars you drove by simply had their radar units turned off. The link you mentioned for newbies would be a great place to start.

Radar Fanatic

They were probably shooting K band so you got no alert

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by nayr View Post
    Hi,

I am a new member and recently i just got the v1. So far the radar has been very well. One thing that doesnt seem to work good is K band. I live in cali and driving up and down the highway, i get constant threats of K. I decided to turn k band off itself completely. Worked great no more false threats, but it seems like none of the bands are working now. Yesterday driving down the highway, i saw at least 4-5 cops on the side of the freeway, but the radar got no threats at all.

My question is, if i turn K band off completely, does it effect all the other bands?

Should i follow this setting on the thread:
    "K Band Automute Settings walkthrough for newbies"

Thanks much guys!
    better to do mute settings than turning off k. put it at umaute at 6 led for more quietness.

RadarBusters Associate

as some of the above people have stated the either didn't have there radars on or they may have been using K-Band, as well the could have been using instant on, turning off one band should never affect the other bands, but if you are worried that turning off the one band may be affecting your other bands, you could always purchase a tester, they usually range around 49.99 but at least that way you would know for sure if your radar is working or is defective.
    F.Y.I.
    BE CAREFULL ---- Radar Detectors are not ill-legal in California but they are ill-legal to mount on the dashboard so if this is were you are mounting it, be careful, and watch out.

Newcomer

thanks guys. thanks greenradar for the tip about the dashboard, i am mounting it on the windshield, i think its actually illegal to mount things on the windshield too as its called obstruction of view? iuno

I actually totally made a mistake. I ment to say i turned of X band. not k band. does x band. I live in the bay area and commute a lot, and everytime this band keeps going off. but as i stated originally, ever since i turned it off, k, ka hasnt been triggering.

Lead Foot

Probably coincidence. Remember coincidental != causal. If you think there's a causal relationship then either use a tester or turn X back on. Turning a band off should be done based on researching whether or not the band is used in your area -- not on how annoying X band alerts are.

Professional

thanks guys. thanks greenradar for the tip about the dashboard, i am mounting it on the windshield, i think its actually illegal to mount things on the windshield too as its called obstruction of view? iuno

I actually totally made a mistake. I ment to say i turned of X band. not k band. does x band. I live in the bay area and commute a lot, and everytime this band keeps going off. but as i stated originally, ever since i turned it off, k, ka hasnt been triggering.
    go to a shopping center to see if it alerts to k.

RadarBusters Associate

Quote Originally Posted by guit123 View Post

go to a shopping center to see if it alerts to k.
    going to a shopping center is a perfect idea, guarantee if your K band is working it will go off when you get near a home depot, lowes, or walmart, for some reason home depot seems to always set radar detectors off worse then any other stores, also double check and make sure that you didn't acidentally turn other settings off as well.

Furthermore, turning off X band merely disables all X band alerts. The V1, just like any other radar detector, still scans X band since it has to do this in order to look for the primary LO frequency (very close to X band) from other radar detectors, plus 2nd and 3rd LO harmonics from other radar detectors in order to prevent false alerts from other nearby radar detectors.

Just to be safe and to be sure that your V1's firmware settings are stored correctly, cycle through all of the program settings and make sure that the front arrow is lit up. Then power off to save this default firmware settings state. Then power up again, turn off X band, and power off again to be sure that this settings state is correctly saved. Then do a K band test at a local shopping center with the V1 set to "A" mode.