Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default Is it worth it for me?

I need advice. I am a 17 year old kid that just received just under $600 for my birthday. What I am wondering is if you guys would recommend spending 2/3's of my money for a V1. The thing is though, that all the city cops in my city all run laser. I have only had one encounter where there was an officer in the city running Ka C/O. Also, I haven't come across any CHP running laser, all the CHP i have seen have been running Ka. I don't do ALOT of freeway driving but sometimes I do need to travel for a couple hours on the freeways. I do have a ****ty old RD that has surprisingly saved me from 2 Ka tickets on the freeway.

EDIT: I am in California so a Jammer is out of the question. A- Because it is illegal, and B- because it is too expensive.
    Last edited by ssick92; 06-03-2009 at 08:33 PM.

snoopyc4

Default Re: Is it worth it for me?

If you get a V1, it WILL NOT save you from police laser. No RD can do that. What is this other "old" RD you have? BTW a jammer doesn't have to be "out of the question" because it is illegal. The only US laser gun that tells the operator its being jammed is the Laser Atlanta. As long as you don't JTG the LEO won't know he is being jammed. Jammer being used in California:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0EcqRZM6N8[/ame]
    Last edited by snoopyc4; 06-03-2009 at 08:39 PM.

Lead Foot

Dont get me wrong, I completely understand that NO rd will protect me from laser. I am just wondering if it is worth the 400 bucks for the medium-low amount of highway driving I do. I was contemplating a jammer for awhile, but I came to the conclusion that it would just be too expensive for not enough protection because I have an explorer and the only Jammer + Install I would be able to afford would be maybe a Blinder M25. Though it would significantly reduce the threat of laser, it would not reduce it as much as I would want with a jammer.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by ssick92 View Post
    I am in California so a Jammer is out of the question. A- Because it is illegal
    ...and speeding isn't in CA?

Buy it. You have 30 days to figure out if it's worth it to you.

Yoda of Radar

I need advice. I am a 17 year old kid that just received just under $600 for my birthday. What I am wondering is if you guys would recommend spending 2/3's of my money for a V1.
    Absolutely not. I highly recommend you do two things:

1. Drive within the law so you can keep your licence. No licence = no poon.

2. Spend that money on poon. You're only 17 once, and if you waste six bills like that, you're going to realise how stupid it was in a few years.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    I need advice. I am a 17 year old kid that just received just under $600 for my birthday. What I am wondering is if you guys would recommend spending 2/3's of my money for a V1.
    Absolutely not. I highly recommend you do two things:

1. Drive within the law so you can keep your licence. No licence = no poon.

2. Spend that money on poon. You're only 17 once, and if you waste six bills like that, you're going to realise how stupid it was in a few years.
    Thats basically what I was thinking. Since I have a RD that has saved my ass a few times, I guess it works well enough that I don't need to spend $400 for a new one.

For the record, I only speed 5-7ish mph over in the city anyway, which wouldnt warrant me a citation with 99% of the LEO in my area anyway. However I am still contemplating one of those refurbished 8500's on ebay for 150 just for a cheap upgrade. Does this sound like a good idea or are you just saying save it all for underage strippers

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyc4 View Post
    What is this other "old" RD you have?
    Its just some old Whistler 1753 my brother gave me, works surprisingly well for baking in the sun for 5 years
    Last edited by ssick92; 06-03-2009 at 09:18 PM.

Yoda of Radar

Yeah, you should be good on surface streets. But man, I hear all sorts of horror stories about CHP citing for 6 over on the highways. Insane!

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Lead Foot

The lowest I've heard was I think 9 over on the toll road, but it was pouring so it was probably unsafe conditions. Man, I hope I don't run into that LEO that cited for 6 over, that is a bummer for that dude, unless he was a complete douche to the cop.
    Last edited by ssick92; 06-03-2009 at 10:41 PM.

Radar Fanatic

OP: Don't buy an 8500 on Ebay, I did that and the unit said it needs service after 2 weeks.

Lead Foot

Well isnt it still under factory warranty for 6 months? Thats what it says on the ebay page I believe.