Good Citizen

Question Hey V1 Guys - What do I look for?

Hey Guys,

I have a chance to pick up a used V1 for $200 from a friend of mine (he's getting a Bel STI-R). I might just take him up on it, as I'm curious to try a long-term test of one for myself.

He bought it from VR back in December 2008 - what should I look for revision-wise? Any versions that are preferable, or should be avoided?

Any other issues that are useful to know?

Thanks for any info!

Experienced

Default Re: Hey V1 Guys - What do I look for?

Be cautious, be sure to inspect the device thoroughly for physical damage. You'll also want to check the version. Do so by starting the device up in programming mode. Turn the knob fully counter clockwise in the off position, press and hold down the main knob and turn clockwise until you see the unit light up (approx 2-3 seconds). You will be able to see the version once in programming mode (ex 3.---). Once you have the version post it on here, or check it online to see how outdated the device is.

If you can spare the extra $200 I would purchase it new from the manufacturer with warranty and you'll know that the unit hasn't been taken care of poorly and loaded with the latest version.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by brettzo View Post
    Be cautious, be sure to inspect the device thoroughly for physical damage. You'll also want to check the version. Do so by starting the device up in programming mode. Turn the knob fully counter clockwise in the off position, press and hold down the main knob and turn clockwise until you see the unit light up (approx 2-3 seconds). You will be able to see the version once in programming mode (ex 3.---). Once you have the version post it on here, or check it online to see how outdated the device is.

If you can spare the extra $200 I would purchase it new from the manufacturer with warranty and you'll know that the unit hasn't been taken care of poorly and loaded with the latest version.
    ^X2...Well stated

Even though he's a friend you don't know how they've treated the equipment. He could have dropped it or done other damage to it that might not be very noticeable on the outside. Best thing to do is if you're going to stick with the unit you bought off your friend, send it into V1 for $45 they will tune it and check it for imperfections. At that time if you don't have the latest revision you can OPT to have that updated. 1.8 is the latest hardware revision and 3.872 is the latest software revision. You can check yours at the website below...

Valentine 1 Upgrades

On that website you can type in the serial number and it will tell you what revisions your V1 is equipped with.

Good Luck.

Radar Fanatic

OP:

Step 1: Get the serial # and run it, that's first and foremost, nothing should proceed this when buying a used V1.

Good Citizen

Thumbs up Re: Hey V1 Guys - What do I look for?

Great info, thanks guys.

I see the serial# checker on the VR now, so I'll get that this evening.

I know he's taken care of it, so no issues there really. He's been a good friend for 20 years, I know him

Just more concerned with revision #'s, and any quirks that are specific to V1's (and their respective versions etc).

Now I have some place to start....

Professional

I got mine back in dec 2008 has no given me any issues and has provided great detection

Professional

$200 is a good deal for a relatively new V1. I'd send it in for a performance check and be happy with having saved $150 on a new unit.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Asleeper View Post
    $200 is a good deal for a relatively new V1. I'd send it in for a performance check and be happy with having saved $150 on a new unit.
    X2....this is a really good deal, if the unit has been taken care off.

Good Citizen

Looks like I'm gonna pick it up from him later this week. For $200 I cant pass it up...

I ran the serial# on the VR site, it came back with:

V1 Description: Radar circuitry known in-house as V1.8 POP2 with Euro Mode. This is our latest and best performer on both radar and laser.

Upgrade Recommendation: You already have our best.
    This should be fun

Thanks again for the info guys.