Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Mute Button Install

Hello,
    I've had my Valentine One for sometime and I love it, but I wanted to do some more custom installations with it. I already have it hard wired in, and I wanted to install a remote mute button. I have an '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it has steering wheel stereo controls mounted on the back. Since i have an aftermarket stereo installed, they are not in use. I was wondering if there was a way I might be able to wire one of these buttons as the mute button. Has anyone else done this? I am looking for Jeep Wiring diagrams with little luck. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Peter

Experienced

Default Re: Mute Button Install

I've never heard of anyone doing something like that but if I were you I would start by looking through the manual for your aftermarket stereo.

I found this, I hope it's what your looking for...

Jeep Grand Cherokee - Fuses

Newcomer

My last car had a Passport SR7+ in it, and the mute button was installed on the end of the turn signal stalk. VERY convenient.

Yeah I am looking to do a similar thing, I am debating if I should try to tap into the factory buttons, which seems very complex, or just wire a mute button to that place. The button on the back of the wheel is just so conveniently placed, it would be perfect for a mute button.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Pdhoffmann View Post
    Hello,
    I've had my Valentine One for sometime and I love it, but I wanted to do some more custom installations with it. I already have it hard wired in, and I wanted to install a remote mute button. I have an '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it has steering wheel stereo controls mounted on the back. Since i have an aftermarket stereo installed, they are not in use. I was wondering if there was a way I might be able to wire one of these buttons as the mute button.
    The good news: yes, it can be done.

The bad news: it ain't easy, and will probably be more trouble than it's worth.

Those buttons are connected to an embedded microcontroller in the car which transmits messages on the vehicle network whenever a button is pressed. The factory stereo receives these messages and performs the appropriate actions. In order to use these buttons for your own purposes, you would need to design your own embedded node which connects between the vehicle LAN and the external mute input on the V1.

Well, there you have it. Hope that helped.

Ha! Very helpful! I read a few things about that. I was worried thats how it would work. I think instead I am going to buy a mute button and wire it to the same place on the back of the steering wheel and just mount it there. Does anyone know where to get a remote mute button? I know an ebay store has a flat mute button but is there anywhere else?

Professional

pretty sure ebay is the only seller a few members have gotten them from there and have been happy I plan on getting one in the near future

Radar Fanatic

I have had great experience with <EBAY SELLER NAME REMOVED> on eBay. They have great customer service too.

Whoops. Didn't mean to break any rules. I apologize.
    Last edited by Cips; 07-01-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Cips View Post
    I have had great experience with <EBAY SELLER NAME REMOVED> on eBay. They have great customer service too.
    That is the easiest of prob the cheapest solution.

I would play with the buttons and see if it pops off and then put a micro mute button behind it to see if it works.

I ordered a few different kinds of buttons to try out. Next problem, is there a specific way to wire it so the wheel turning doesn't affect the wire?