Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sec 6 Ka Guard

V1 Zombie

Default Sec 6 Ka Guard

had a little play the other day with the Ka guard setting, What i found was if i turn it off i got unstopping false Ka hits :? . However while i was playing i came across a parked up cop who had left his ka radar going while he was out for donuts . with the ka guard off I found i got a full 1 second faster warning than with ka a guard on :shock:. I feel its the Ka guard filter that take a second or so to look at the signal :?: . So is this the reason why the V1 is a bit slower than the xr950 etc. Whatever the reason for the delay i will always drive with Ka guard on really i never get false Ka hits :!:

Radar Fanatic

thats interesting i have not touched Ka guard

was the amount of false that much? where do you think they falses were coming from?

Professional

I have played with the Ka guard. The V1 is intolerable with it switched off.

Good Citizen

Default gaurd

guard of is not acceptable, even in highways, every cobra or uniden will "turn" it on.
    you can set more responsive and get a better feeling but don't touch guard.

Good Citizen

I also tried turning the Ka guard off and had about 20 falses within 5 minutes of city driving. I don't know what it does exactly but the V1 is just an expensive noise maker with it turned off. :roll:

Good Citizen

It's strange!
    I have my KA false off on my Euro version no problems whatsoever. But when I borrowed a friends real old V1 I switched off the KA false and it was forever screaming blue murder, whenever a taxi drove by!

Good Citizen

When encounting Decatur K band units, what I had experienced with my 1.7 V1 turning off the Ka guard, after say 1mile off detection a 1/4 mile from the radar Ka then would alert me.

V1 Zombie

.825 (euro off not in euro land)
    Think with Ka guard off other detectors give it hell. Without any question if you want peace in your car leave it on. The question was do you think that the Ka guard slow's down the Ka alert by a sec or so? May have to ask Sir Jim this one :shock:

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by time2fly
    I also tried turning the Ka guard off and had about 20 falses within 5 minutes of city driving. I don't know what it does exactly but the V1 is just an expensive noise maker with it turned off. :roll:
    Guess that's why the called it chicken little.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by ghz1
    .825 (euro off not in euro land)
    Think with Ka guard off other detectors give it hell. Without any question if you want peace in your car leave it on. The question was do you think that the Ka guard slow's down the Ka alert by a sec or so? May have to ask Sir Jim this one :shock:
    You are pretty much correct. I don't know about the exact numbers for the V1, but I am pretty sure it isn't a whole second. The manufacturers build filters into their software, where a signal must be present for longer than a specific amount of time in order to actually trigger an alert. This is one method they use to prevent falses from short signals that are characteristic of interfering harmonics from the sweeping LOs of other "junk" detectors. The V1 allows this filtering to be turned off for Ka.

Michael B from whistler did some tests on this here (but not with the Valentine):
    http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...=asc&start=240