Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default How do you calculate the distance between you and the leo?

I was wondering how do you calculate the distance between you and the leo when both of you are comming towards each other. Just this afternoon, I had an alert from the V1 I resetted my speedometer to 0 and then stop it when I passed the leo. It said 0.6. Does this mean 0.6 miles or do you calucualte the miles when he was comming towards you . I hope I didnt confuse you.

Good Citizen

Default Re: How do you calculate the distance between you and the leo?

Lets say both you guys were travelling at the same speed and both covered .6 mile (no way to really know since leos travel at all kinds of speeds when fishing for speeders). One mile is roughly 5000 feet and you traveled .6 so around 3000 feet. Assuming that leo travelled the same amount would be .6x2 a little over 1.2 miles. Now if the leo was going like they usually drive, he was probably doing 80 in 55 so you got about 1.5 mile alert

Yoda of Radar

If you go on the assumption that he was going about the same speed as you, and therefore travelled about the same distance as you, then there was 1.2 miles (6336 feet) between you.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Good Citizen

Sooo you multiply by 2 all the time, and what if its stationarly and I got .8 miles how would you calucaulate that.

Radar Fanatic

If he is sitting still, then the distance between your first alert and his location is....the distance. No calculation.

I would note that some trip odometers take a few seconds to reset and you could cover a couple tenths waiting for it to "zero". I just look at it when I get an alert and again when I meet te source.

Good Citizen

wait sorry Iam still confused. Ok when a leo and I are comming towars each other. you multiply by 2 of the distance your speedometer shows. For Example. 0.8 would be 1.6 miles .5 would be 1 mile and .2 .40 miles .10 would be 2.0 mile. Am I on the right track here, is that how you do it.

as for stationarly if I get an alert and I reset my speedometer/tripodometer from my car it is the distance is says, you dont double it or multiply it.

God Iam confused

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by V1DUDE View Post
    Ok when a leo and I are comming towars each other. you multiply by 2 of the distance your speedometer shows. For Example. 0.8 would be 1.6 miles .5 would be 1 mile and .2 .40 miles .10 would be 2.0 mile. Am I on the right track here, is that how you do it.
    Yes, but again, that's only a very rough approximation, because you don't know how fast the other car was going, or how much ground he covered in that time. He could have been stopped on the side of the road for all but the last few seconds, as far as you know.

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Good Citizen

ok and stationary is the distance that your first alert., you dont add or muliply anything for example when my odometer shows. .2 .3 .4 .5 .6 .7 .8 it is those miles, you dont add anything

Yoda of Radar

ah, I see what you're asking now. No. The number is cumulative. It adds up itself.

Good Citizen

ok sorry once again iam confuse. SO .8 would be .16 miles .5 would be .10 miles .10 would be .20 and so ono right