Thread: Upgrade of V1.7

Default Upgrade of V1.7

I have an older V1.7 purchased back in 1999. It will cost $189 to bring it up to current specs (at least I think it would be current specs).
    Is this a worthwhile upgrade? I really don't care whether or not I have the latest and greatest version, but if the performance is significantly better, I'd like to do it.
    Also, I've been having a few problems and I wonder if the upgrade will fix them. The problems are that I get false laser alarms from time to time - often enough to be annoying. And lately I will occasionally get a visual alarm but not an audible alarm, even though the volume is set high enough when the unit is turned on.

I guess I should have searched a bit more before posting this, as I see a couple others who have asked the same question about the V1.7.
    It seems that some people like the V1.7 better. Maybe I should just wait for the V1.9...

Professional

If you are having problems with alerts then I would get the upgrade!
    It is not going to do you any good if you are not sure it is working correctly or not.

I would have it upgraded if I was not sure of its working performance.

Professional

Im sure his one problem he thinks he has is he is in Big or Little 'L" and if in that mode, you will get an indication with no sound until it breaks the threshold on X band I know

Quote Originally Posted by Holla
    Im sure his one problem he thinks he has is he is in Big or Little 'L" and if in that mode, you will get an indication with no sound until it breaks the threshold on X band I know
    You could be right. I had forgotten that it worked that way in the small L mode. I'll need to check that out more carefully.
    I returned the unit to have them check out the laser falsing about a year ago. They said they couldn't find a problem with it, but it still happens.

Advanced Member
    5680 Oakbrook Parkway Suite 149 Norcross, GA

I like my 1.7 better than the current offering but that could change with the 1.9 when it is offered.

Radar Fanatic

While 1.7 was good, I like my 1.8 better. I feel that the Ka band sensitivity is better, as is the urgency of the alert. By that I mean more LEDs in the meter light and the beep rate is faster at a given distance from a Ka band source.

Laser detection is better on 1.8 also. I would get the upgrade.

GTO_04

Lead Foot

Default Looking at V-1

Perhaps I will give it some more time and take a wait and see look on the V-1 as it seems to be that these detectors are like computers only good for so long and become outdated. Just like I'm waiting for the Plasma HDTV's to come down in $$$

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Looking at V-1

Quote Originally Posted by LS2
    Perhaps I will give it some more time and take a wait and see look on the V-1 as it seems to be that these detectors are like computers only good for so long and become outdated. Just like I'm waiting for the Plasma HDTV's to come down in $$$
    If you keep waiting for the next update, you will never buy a V1. There will always be updates. Unlike Belscort you can always upgrade your V1. To upgrade my 1.8 to POP2 was only abouit $75 IIRC. Your 1.7 costs more to upgrade because it has not been upgraded to 1.8.

Well, your 1.7 will still serve you well. You don't really need to upgrade unless POP radar is being used in your area.

GTO_04

Advanced Member
    5680 Oakbrook Parkway Suite 149 Norcross, GA

Default Re: Looking at V-1

Quote Originally Posted by LS2
    Perhaps I will give it some more time and take a wait and see look on the V-1 as it seems to be that these detectors are like computers only good for so long and become outdated.
    A V1 never gets outdated, just cost a little more to keep up the longer you wait.