Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Manufacturer

Default V1 v1.8 (pre-pop)

Guys,

I was curious to know what's been the experience of V1 owners of the v1.8 detector prior to the incorporation of any POP circuitry.

Question. How's the frequency of K-alerts with this version?

And what is the rev# of the firmware?

Thanks.

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Radar Fanatic

Mine is rev. 3.813. In A it alerts to K band at every opportunity. It's not bad on the highway but pretty terrible near anything with an automatic door. I have no basis for comparison to v1.7 or 1.8 w/pop.

Manufacturer

brick,

I don't think All bogeys (A) affects sensitivity/filtering of K-band - only X, I believe. So I would expect the K-alert rate to be unchanged whether in "A","l", or"L" modes...

Interesting about your rev, though. I think that's the same rev on my 1.7 (thats darn near 15 years old)

Thanks.

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Lead Foot

I tested v1.8 pre-pop and it hardly ever falsed on K band. In fact, in my tests against the X50 the X50 was the detector that falsed non stop on K band. If you and others are getting a lot of falses on the K band then it seems to me that they may be related to the pop software and you may want to retest the unit with the pop feature turned off.

Manufacturer

Actually, I already tried that before our comparison.

While the frequency did decrease somewhat, it was still quite a bit more than the V1.7.

I am hoping for a answer from VR, in the meantime.

The Veil Guy 8)

Radar Fanatic

The reason that mine falses so much is that Ieave it in A. I've tested A vs little L vs. big L and I just don't buy the statement that advanced logic doesn't affect K band filtering. It has a definite effect and I'm sure I could reduce falsing that way. It's just by my own personal preference that I like to be notified of every signal and figure out on my own what's real and what's not. All other this being equal, a human brain will always perform this function better than a machine using current civillian technology.

Manufacturer

Interesting point.

I found the increased alerting [falsing] on K when my wife and I were out West was not as much of an annoyance because of the tendency, we found, for steady radar operation. So an occasional brief (1 or 2 cycle) K alert was easy to intrepret (filter out.)

Back East, though, where instant-on radar is used - especially K in PA, brief alerts could mean instant-on/pulsed K operation on the highways. Here the Valentine v1.8 can become a little disruptive to the flow of my driving. I don't want to be tapping the brakes every time it goes off and, in time, I tend to ignore the alerts, which can be more risky.

If the V1 does better than the others with resistance to Ka alerting in the warmer weather, it will likely become my detector of choice during the spring/summer season.

I know it's a fine balance between absolute sensitivity and falsing rates.

It certainly a personal choice, though.

I have repeatedly checked with VR about advanced Logic Mode and have been repeatedly told that it has no effect on K - just X.

I don't know what to tell you...

The Veil Guy 8)

Founder of Stealthvation

I have found that "L" does decrease my K band falsing. When I talked to VR they told me that "L" effects all bands but then again the customer rep that I was talking to told me that the Uniden BCT-8 scanner would effect the performance of my V1.
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Manufacturer

brick,

Damn the torpedoes... I will try to make a run with the V1 v1.8 and try it with and without "L" mode and check it out.

Thanks for the info...Hey, if it works, then mission may be accomplished.

Here a link from VR's own website about AL mode:

http://www.valentine1.com/moreinfo/C...ns_pg12-14.pdf

Why they wouldn't acknowledge this behavior is beyond me.

The Veil Guy 8)

Radar Fanatic

The test that led me to my belief involves sitting in a parking lot with multiple K band door openers. If I just sit there in A the thing goes nuts and stays nuts. As soon as I switch to big L the bogeys start to disappear and eventually there are none. As soon as I switch back to A they all come back and it braps at me until I hit the mute button or switch modes again.

I a gree that it's strange that they wouldn't acknowledge this behavior on their site. Perhaps their information is simply outdated?