Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my V1 weak?

Lead Foot

Default Is my V1 weak?

Today was my first usage of the V1, I put about 140 miles on it. I suspect that Florida has mostly converted over to instant on Ka radar (at least the units on I-75 have) because I never once got very good lead on warning. When I did get hit, my V1 would faithfully alert me full blast, but I had maybe a quarter mile warning, if that.

The worst was, as I was almost home, a really bad detection that made me worry. I wasn't speeding but I saw oncoming traffic flashing their highbeams (ah, on this trip my viligance picked up all 3 "traps" long before my detector) so I was on alert. There is a turn that banks to the left and up, then right back down (sorta like an overpass, but there is no road under). The LEO was sitting off to the right about 30 feet from the road shooting Ka, maybe 300-500 feet past the apex of the hill. The V1 warned me as follows:
    Ka blip (1 bar) as I just crested the hill.
    Rapidly increasing Ka strength as I came down the hill (by now I would have been toast if I was speeding) maybe 3-4 bars.
    Sudden jump to 100% stength as I hit the bottom of the hill.

I realize this is a tricky situation to detect, but I was under the impression that the V1 would give me at least some advanced Ka warning to prepare.

My unit is mounted very high (just under the tint stripe in a late 90's GMC suburban) so I don't think it is the location that is the problem.
    It was also curious that throughout the day, I saw much stronger radar from the rear (passing things) than from the front.

Is this normal, or do I have one of those "bad" windsheilds, or, perhaps a faulty V1? Mine is very very new (just came in monday) and I have not changed anything on it, just running in "A" mode.

Thanks for any advice,
    R.R.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Is my V1 weak?

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyRadar
    Today was my first usage of the V1, I put about 140 miles on it. I suspect that Florida has mostly converted over to instant on Ka radar (at least the units on I-75 have) because I never once got very good lead on warning. When I did get hit, my V1 would faithfully alert me full blast, but I had maybe a quarter mile warning, if that.

The worst was, as I was almost home, a really bad detection that made me worry. I wasn't speeding but I saw oncoming traffic flashing their highbeams (ah, on this trip my viligance picked up all 3 "traps" long before my detector) so I was on alert. There is a turn that banks to the left and up, then right back down (sorta like an overpass, but there is no road under). The LEO was sitting off to the right about 30 feet from the road shooting Ka, maybe 300-500 feet past the apex of the hill. The V1 warned me as follows:
    Ka blip (1 bar) as I just crested the hill.
    Rapidly increasing Ka strength as I came down the hill (by now I would have been toast if I was speeding) maybe 3-4 bars.
    Sudden jump to 100% stength as I hit the bottom of the hill.

I realize this is a tricky situation to detect, but I was under the impression that the V1 would give me at least some advanced Ka warning to prepare.

My unit is mounted very high (just under the tint stripe in a late 90's GMC suburban) so I don't think it is the location that is the problem.
    It was also curious that throughout the day, I saw much stronger radar from the rear (passing things) than from the front.

Is this normal, or do I have one of those "bad" windsheilds, or, perhaps a faulty V1? Mine is very very new (just came in monday) and I have not changed anything on it, just running in "A" mode.

Thanks for any advice,
    R.R.
    If things are showing a lot stronger from the rear it may be that your v1 is faulty.

Lead Foot

Here is a link to a google map showing the setup of which I am speaking.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.09...6951&t=h&hl=en

I was wrong, a road does go under, but obviously I didnt notice.

The LEO was sitting facing oncoming traffic about where "Lakeshore Villa Dr" (look at the lower/left edge of the frame) would continue off into the shoulder of the interstate. I got my first blip *literally* as I came to the white part of the concrete overpass.

Personally, I think thats kinda bad, but I guess the new radar guns are much lower power and instant on.

As a side note, it seemed to me that the LEO's enjoyed shooting me even though I was obviously obeying the speed limit, I suppose just because they saw my detector. I suppose they just get a kick out of making me feel like my money is working for something?

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    If things are showing a lot stronger from the rear it may be that your v1 is faulty.
    Are V1's commonly faulty? It seems to me like VR has pretty good QC, but I guess a lemon always makes it through.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, I suppose it would be best for me to do some more tests. There are two perma-speed signs on a road near my house that I can use to do "drive-bys" I guess, they should give me a better idea of my detection I guess. (They are, however, right by the Tampa Bay, and I assume they are going to get picked up a LONG time before I get anywhere near them... its flat and line of sight for miles)

This was my first drive with the V1 (hence I am going the posted speed limit, not even necessarily with the flow of "slightly above" traffic. I know it will take some getting used to, but of course I don't want to feel I have protection when I do not!

Thanks for your input,
    R.R.

Radar Fanatic

i was on I-75 all today and yest and not once got instant on. all were constant on Ka and a couple laser. i got plenty of warning with my X50 and even 1.9 miles from the rear one time. so im guessing its your V1. dont hold me to it though.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by A-TownNavi
    i was on I-75 all today and yest and not once got instant on. all were constant on Ka and a couple laser. i got plenty of warning with my X50 and even 1.9 miles from the rear one time. so im guessing its your V1. dont hold me to it though.
    Interesting that you say that. I saw no possible laser traps, but plenty of instant-on traps. What state were you in? I was traveling from ~ exit 390 to ~exit 250 in Florida.

I took my V1 for a few trips past the speed signs I was talking about. Very strange. They are both K, but on one, as I approach and pass it, it is not quite as strong as the other, but it also makes my V1 "overload" like talked about in another thread. The bogey count goes crazy (sometimes up to 6) and the arrows get quite confused. There is some X-band noise in that area from apartment complexes with auto-doors, so perhaps the V1 is having a hard time managing multiple locks? I'm honestly not sure.

The other sign is detectable from at least a mile away and pretty much acts as expected front to back, with the arrows giving me a slight "front bias" (IE I pass the source before the arrows correctly change)

Maybe it is the vehicle(windows) or maybe not. It could be that everything is normal. I have alot more driving to do between now and sunday (at least 600 more miles) so I will no doubt have more to report.

Thanks to ya'll for your opinions and patience, and keep em coming. Also, let me know if anything I'm explaining makes one iota of sense, of if I am completely off my rocker.

R.R.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    Are V1's commonly faulty? It seems to me like VR has pretty good QC, but I guess a lemon always makes it through.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, I suppose it would be best for me to do some more tests. There are two perma-speed signs on a road near my house that I can use to do "drive-bys" I guess, they should give me a better idea of my detection I guess. (They are, however, right by the Tampa Bay, and I assume they are going to get picked up a LONG time before I get anywhere near them... its flat and line of sight for miles)

This was my first drive with the V1 (hence I am going the posted speed limit, not even necessarily with the flow of "slightly above" traffic. I know it will take some getting used to, but of course I don't want to feel I have protection when I do not!

Thanks for your input,
    R.R.
    It seems to me that V1 has pretty good quality control, and at least if something is wrong, they will make it right. Like you said, the occasional lemon is inevitable.

You're dealing with one of the aspects that turned me away from the V1 now - uncertainty. At least if something isn't right on my RX, i'll get a "service required" message, with the V1, you're left to find out on your own.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by A-TownNavi
    Interesting that you say that. I saw no possible laser traps, but plenty of instant-on traps. What state were you in? I was traveling from ~ exit 390 to ~exit 250 in Florida.

R.R.
    ATL to Naples. be advised that i have never used a V1 so i cannot contest to what it does and what it doesnt, im just saying what it think is going on . but yeah all i say was constant on Ka and 2 Laser. one laser was part of a HUGE speed trap just before you cross over Manatee river the FIRST time (going South), not the big bridge. and im sure they switch it up all day so they prob did go instant-on, i just wasnt there (thank god )

Lead Foot

Default V1 3.825 Front Antennae FAULTS

I have owned three V1's over the years and just recieved my new V1 with firmware 3.825

My V1ís FRONT ANTENNAE is FAULTY. I noticed this on K band and KA band. Here is my evaluation of the problem, I have X band turned off. I noticed a police car that was parked along side the road with the radar gun ON (KA band). Driving towards the police the V1 did not alert until a few yards from the police car, the trooper was facing me. When I passed the trooper I noticed how great the REAR antenna was at picking up the signal and kept BRAPPING even though I had passed the police. I turned around and did 4 PASSES and always the same situation with the V1. I have set everything to FACTORY DEFAULT and still have the same problem. I became suspicious the other day when a trooper passed me and V1 did not alert until the police passed me. Then the REAR ARROW and the SIGNAL METER showed a FULL HOUSE. They did not use the gun on instant on. The good thing about the police here in Iceland is they never turn of the radar guns??

Lead Foot

It is about time for Valentine to come out with a Valentine Two.