Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Power User

Default I will be returning my V1

Well the V1 is a nice detector, but I am going to return it.

It did not give me as much warning on Ka as my original passport 8500 does in the following sitution:

The officer is ahead shooting the rear of cars after they pass by. In this set up the detector needs to alert as soon as possible BEFORE you get to the LEO's location. This is simiular to the Ka photo radar setup that clock you as soon as you pass that other member were recently talking about in the thread about the new GOL test. The V1's range is not as good as my original 8500 in this encounter. The V1 was excellent with Ka when the source was in front pointed my direction and if it was off to the side.

The V1 is hands down the best K band detector I have seen, the V1 has a very slight edge on the X50 for K band, but not a significant difference. However the V1 is annoying when it continues to alert with a rear arrow after passing my grocery store K band door.

One weird thing I noticed about the V1 when I encounter 2 LEO's running constant on K band side by side, I would get a Ka alert when i get close to them. This happened more than once.

Maybe one day a detector company will make a detector that detects Ka as good as the original 8500, K band as good as the V1 or X50, and POP like the RX65 or V1 all in one detector.

Until that detector comes out, I'm gonna run with 2 detectors. I will use the original 8500 for Ka and since I still have my X50 I will use it for K band.

Professional

Hello there!

I believe it was me who mentioned that forward facing KA radar.

I find it so strange that the older 8500 can have better detection than a new V1 on KA band. Is the difference really that big that you're going to return it?

Power User

Yes, there is a difference in forward facing rear Ka with the original 8500. At least with mine which is 8500 Rev 15. I'm not sure if this is with my detector only or all 8500 Rev 15's. I would like to test my 8500 with another just like it to see if there is a difference.

Speed Demon

Every detector has its ups and downs. I dont think even if you had your passport on. It would have given you a more advance warning.

Ka is weird. Sometimes you get 1/4 mile warning some times its 2 miles. I wish x and k were the only bands. Ka is the hardest band to detect.

I get pissed off at ka band detection to. But I learn to live with it.

Radar Fanatic

Every radar encounter is different, like mike has said its not possible to give a correct answer to how far away it can detect radar...

according to them they say................

How much range, as a general question, is unanswerable, because it depends entirely on the circumstances. In our lab, we work on receiver sensitivity--how weak of a signal can we find?--and in our tests we outperform all others. Car and Driver tests range, and we outperform in their tests too, which confirms our good sensitivity. Radar is a line-of-sight beam, like a light, that's easily reflected and refracted. Imagine a flashlight beam on a foggy night; you can see the beam a short distance away, even if you aren't lined up with it, because it reflects off moisture in the air. But your best chance of seeing it a long way off comes when it points straight at you.

Radar range is the same. In outer space, with the beam pointed directly at V1, I'm sure we could find radar 100 miles away. But on earth you never get a straight shot like that. You might get 5 miles in the flats of Texas or Kansas. In the mountains around Asheville, N.C., you might not get a half mile.

Range tends to confuse people because they don't know all the variables. For example, when you see a radar patrol car, is the beam pointed toward you or away. When it's pointed away, you have only scattered reflections to look for, so maximum range is likely to be 1/20th of what it would be when toward you, and this assumes no obstructions between the reflector and your antenna.

Range over hills is confusing too. The only signal your detector has to work with is what's left of the original when it clears the last obstacle. For example, let's say that V1 has a 3 to 1 range advantage over another detector; that 3 to 1 applies only to what's left after the hill. If the radar beam has already traveled a great distance, the signal power remaining after the hill may be so weak that 3 to 1 gives you only 100 yards of additional warning. But that 100 yards can be really precious. It can make all the difference. Getting extra seconds of warning in the tight spots is worth more that a mile or two of bragging distance on the easy ones.

Founder of Stealthvation

Well lets see what the Bel STI has to offer in terms of performance. I have a weird feeling that it might only offer Spectre immunity and not much else. I hope that I am wrong though.
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by happya$$
    Well lets see what the Bel STI has to offer in terms of performance. I have a weird feeling that it might only offer Spectre immunity and not much else. I hope that I am wrong though.
    I hope your wrong too. 8)

Founder of Stealthvation

A wise man once told me "how one makes their bed is how one sleeps on it". Now WaanabeStealthJamal you made your bed now lets see how well you will sleep on it
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Advanced Member

It is all for the best. If all of the GOL + crew have V1's, people might start thinking that we are not neutral product evaluators

Quote Originally Posted by stealthJamal
    However the V1 is annoying when it continues to alert with a rear arrow after passing my grocery store K band door.
    Did you try option G in the programming?

Jim

Radar Fanatic

least you know all is well!