Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: made in USA?

Newcomer

Default made in USA?

I'm going to be purchasing a v1 sometime soon, probably have it shipped to Point Roberts so I can pick it up and bring it across the border into BC.

I'm hoping that I'll only have to pay the 5% sales tax when bringing it across, since it is an American made product and obviously isn't tobacco or alcohol.

I phoned up Valentine research the other day, but the lady who answered couldn't tell me if the actual unit, or the box it comes in says "Made in USA."

I asked if Valentine research could provide a declaration of origin with the shipment, if I went ahead and purchased one, and she wasn't sure about that either.

So. Can anyone tell me if their 3.872 V1 is stamped with "Made in USA" ?

I would hate to have customs think that since it was an electronic device, it was made in China, and charge me 18% duties on top of taxes.

Anyway,

thanks!

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: made in USA?

it does not say it anywhere, I looked on the box, the unit, and in the owners manual. So they will have to provide you with paperwork.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

I got a V1 6 days ago.

I looked all over the unit and the box and found no "Made in U.S.A." anywhere. The main unit does have V1's address in Ohio, as does the invoice on the box it was shipped in, but it doesn't say where it was made anywhere.

Newcomer

alright guys, thanks for checking

I'll have to phone them again and clarify what I'm looking for in terms of paperwork, maybe speak to someone in shipping instead.

I work in logistics myself, and since they only ship UPS or Fedex, I know that they would have to fill out a declarations document or at least complete an international section on the waybill.

But for domestic shipments, there wouldn't be a requirement.

I just know that I'll save a bit in shipping, a load in UPS/Fedex brokerage charges, and any duties that could probably be avoided... if I pick the thing up myself in WA.

Newcomer

Got a response from the sales email @ Valentine today:

"The box in which the Valentine One is shipped is clearly marked:
    COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: U. S. A."

Hopefully they're right about that.

Professional
    west coast of the ___American Corporatocracy___ X-band is alive-deadly-expensive

I just don't see the point.

Why volunteer to any member of any government agency the fact you intend to use a Radar Detector ?

I've crossed the Border many times, both Blaine and Sumas, and never had any REAL trouble with the Border Patrol. There seems to be a dickishness quota so we do get some grief, but never anything beyond annoying

If you can contain your beaming and gloating, just say "that? I've had it for years".
    Or hide it.

Newcomer

Here is a picture of my box. It's about 2 weeks old now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Quote Originally Posted by ID10DT View Post
    Here is a picture of my box. It's about 2 weeks old now.
    I noticed that too, but I thought he was looking for something that said "made in U.S.A.", he said he was afraid they'd think it was some Chinese piece of crap.

Power User

That's just the box... it just means it's shipped out from the USA

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by OldGoat View Post
    I just don't see the point.

Why volunteer to any member of any government agency the fact you intend to use a Radar Detector ?

I've crossed the Border many times, both Blaine and Sumas, and never had any REAL trouble with the Border Patrol. There seems to be a dickishness quota so we do get some grief, but never anything beyond annoying

If you can contain your beaming and gloating, just say "that? I've had it for years".
    Or hide it.
    It's not so much volunteering, as it is making sure I don't get the asshole power-tripping border guard that will tear me apart if he's having a bad day at work, lol.

I had a female friend who "forgot" to declare a pair of boots she bought and actually wore back across the border. Anyway for some reason they decided to pull all the stops on her. Ended up with a revoked nexus pass, and they've searched her car every time she's crossed since that happened. Over an 80 dollar pair of boots. I think they put you on some sort of blacklist.

Another buddy of mine had to spend a couple months fighting to get his portable GPS back because the guard didn't believe that he possessed it beforehand. My dad keeps all his golf club receipts in the glovebox because he says the odd time you get a guard that is not a happy person and will find every reason to give you a hard time.

I dunno. Point Roberts is a town with a population of like, 300. I think the main reason people cross into there is either A: there's a party in some kid's cabin on the beach. B: cheap gas. C: to pick something up at the post office. It's just convenient because the waits aren't too long, and it's only a 30 min drive away from me.

So I'd just rather declare the damn thing and pay my 5% tax. Like I said, I'm just worried that they'll think it's some kind of cheap POS made in China... which they will duty another 18% on top of taxes.

Even if they call it a "radar detector"instead of "electronic equipment" and save the details in some sort of border agency database.... I kind of doubt there'd be any rammifications down the line. It could be a gift for all they know. Detectors and jammers aren't illegal in BC - I think the government's biggest concern is making sure you open your wallet one more time on whatever you've bought.

I can't see a picture of that box until I post a bit more. Does it actually say Made in USA?