Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can Windows Tinting Obstuct or weaken signal

I have My V1 Hardwired and mounted right above my rearview. Its a tight fight but its there... however i have that little tint strip up there also... its good because when looking at it from the outside you cannot tell its there at all, but im jw if this can weaken the signal? Ive never had a V1 and am pretty new to this so i dont really know how well its supposed to work... its been pretty decent except for a few times it didnt work at all... or only gave me about a 2 second warning. Anyone know?

Experienced

Default Re: Can Windows Tinting Obstuct or weaken signal

If it's a metallic tint it can hurt reception. If you've got the mirror tint, you can figure it's metallic, but from what I understand it can be hard to tell otherwise.

Hello guys I have been doing alot of test with my V1 lasted version and I have found 5% tint effects the radar by 50 feet!!! I was shocked I keep testing and testing and it came about the same to 50 difference with tint then with out.

Professional

Search is your friend...

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by torkeyvr6 View Post
    Hello guys I have been doing alot of test with my V1 lasted version and I have found 5% tint effects the radar by 50 feet!!! I was shocked I keep testing and testing and it came about the same to 50 difference with tint then with out.

1. Just dark regular %5 or metalic 5?

2. What windows had the 5 on it?

3. With what kind of radar? bushnell k band?

The car is a 2004 Acura TL and it is a Valentine 1 latest version the tint is 5% all around and it is not metallic that stuff SUCKS!!! I had it placed behind the window strip which is 5% too and it reacted slower about 50ft slower to react I know that this issue has been discussed too many times.

The visor mount I don't like it very much SCREAM and HATE all you want at me that you love it but my neighbor is a Police officer very nice guy he comes home and he will leave his car on sometimes with Ka band on and the V1 when mounted on the visor it would only pick it up in very small spurts. I then mounted it on windshield and BANG got full strength on the meter. I did the same test with a speed sign Keep going up and down the street when I mounted in the visor I would get a reading about 1/4 of the speed sign. When I mounted on the windshield I got 1/2 miles of alert from the V1.

HATE all you want but this is my personal preference i think the V1 WORKS better when mounted on the windshield.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by torkeyvr6 View Post
    The car is a 2004 Acura TL and it is a Valentine 1 latest version the tint is 5% all around and it is not metallic that stuff SUCKS!!! I had it placed behind the window strip which is 5% too and it reacted slower about 50ft slower to react I know that this issue has been discussed too many times.

The visor mount I don't like it very much SCREAM and HATE all you want at me that you love it but my neighbor is a Police officer very nice guy he comes home and he will leave his car on sometimes with Ka band on and the V1 when mounted on the visor it would only pick it up in very small spurts. I then mounted it on windshield and BANG got full strength on the meter. I did the same test with a speed sign Keep going up and down the street when I mounted in the visor I would get a reading about 1/4 of the speed sign. When I mounted on the windshield I got 1/2 miles of alert from the V1.

HATE all you want but this is my personal preference i think the V1 WORKS better when mounted on the windshield.
    I have an 04 TL too.
    http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...i-install.html

My 9500ix is mounted high too and there is a trick because i don’t trust the tint strip ether. Though it shouldn’t affect radar sensitivity much at all, i still prefer it the way i did it.

I also agree with the window mount, because of less distance to the windshield.

Now the 9500ix's antenna is at the bottom of the RD so the way i did mine is optimized for it. But the V1 could be installed similarly and still be somewhat stealthy.

V1:

9500I:

9500ix in my 04 TL:

Because of the flash the 9500ix can bee seen better:

Pretty nice you from CT too I onced lived in HARTFORD and in MANCHESTER. I want to get a jammer next but the TL's grill I do not want to mess up any idea's?
    I want to hook up with some people do some test PM me if anything is going down.

Newcomer

For what its worth when I bought my V1 3.872 a few months ago I purposely mounted it up high behind the tint stripe. I have VERY dark tint on the entire car and I have seen the V1 operate amazingly well where it is.

Of course thats not to say that it would not work better with out all the tint.

Like I said it still works O.K, but LAser no good to have it there behind the tint I dont want to lose 50ft or so because I think by that time ITS TOO LATE with instant on Ka hiding behind in the bushes and you going 12 over the speed limit your done!!!

Next project on the list I have a factory tint strip on the TL and I know sooner or later I am going to need to replace my windshield and when it happens I am going to request no tint strip on it. Have the V1 mounted up at the very top and I am going to tint around the V1 so it will look stealthy