Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Newcomer

Default My very first radar detector! ?'s for people in CA

Hey all,

I finally took the plunge and ordered the V1. This is going to be my first radar detector and I just got a couple of questions. I'm living in CA (northern CA) and I just wanted to know for the people living in the same area, what settings do you guys use? I'm new to all these k bands , ka bands, pop, etc stuff on the v1; so if anyone changed the settings from the default settings, do u mind posting them? I just want to get an idea of what settings people are using for CA. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Newcomer

Default Re: My very first radar detector! ?'s for people in CA

Forgot to mention its v3.872

Professional
    west coast of the ___American Corporatocracy___ X-band is alive-deadly-expensive

- - - - -Welcome
    - - - - - - -to
    - - The Light
    You've made a wise investment
    - - - - - -

Since you are new to detectors, I'd lean towards running your V1 out-of-the-box, most often in logic-mode{small L), for at least a couple weeks. This way you can master the basics[getting a baseline of its' behavior] before moving on to internal settings; like shutting off a radar band or the 'muting' of K-band alerts.

Newcomer

Talking Re: My very first radar detector! ?'s for people in CA

Quote Originally Posted by JunZ View Post
    Hey all,

I finally took the plunge and ordered the V1. This is going to be my first radar detector and I just got a couple of questions. I'm living in CA (northern CA) and I just wanted to know for the people living in the same area, what settings do you guys use? I'm new to all these k bands , ka bands, pop, etc stuff on the v1; so if anyone changed the settings from the default settings, do u mind posting them? I just want to get an idea of what settings people are using for CA. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    Is most of your driving going to be on the freeway or around town( your settings will be different)?And by the way congrats on purchasing the best windshield mount detector available .

Radar Fanatic

First of, hardwire the unit and if you can, get the concealed display and carry case.

Next, disable the X-band.

If you drive mostly on the freeway, you can disable the K-band, but if your town's Police uses it, then you might want to leave it off. It may cause some false alerts, but might also save you.

Ka and laser should remain on at all times.

Newcomer

Thanks for the responses guys. I've been searching around for some time for a radar detector, and finally decided on the v1. Just too many good reviews to not get the v1. I also ordered the hardwire kit but no concealed display as of yet.

please correct me if I'm wrong...would an ideal solution be: If i'm driving on the highway use "A" mode..and city driving use small "L" mode? I travel from Sacramento to Yuba City every week, but I also drive around the city alot, so I'm trying to figure out what mode is ideal for highway and city

Newcomer

:eek
    Quote Originally Posted by JunZ View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. I've been searching around for some time for a radar detector, and finally decided on the v1. Just too many good reviews to not get the v1. I also ordered the hardwire kit but no concealed display as of yet.

please correct me if I'm wrong...would an ideal solution be: If i'm driving on the highway use "A" mode..and city driving use small "L" mode? I travel from Sacramento to Yuba City every week, but I also drive around the city alot, so I'm trying to figure out what mode is ideal for highway and city
    If you are driving on the freeway leave it A mode.I would shut off X band And leave on K, and Ka band. In all the years I have owned a Valentine 1(6 years) and driven on the highway the only band I have ever picked up from highway patrol is KA band.Chp uses primaraly Stalker atr and dsr 2x units at 34.7.As far as Laser you can leave it on or off. You will encouter laser falses from some of the cars on the roads, but if you are hit by a laser shot and you are speeding you will not be able to slow down it time because there will be no warning.you will need a laser jammer for this.You can try Ka gaurd on and off,but if you get alot of false alerts turn it back on.Plus the chp are getting smarter.They are using instant on more than they have in the past years.You have to do your own testing to see what works for you.The best thing to do is get hooked up with someone that owns a stalker handheld ka band gunn.In a day or two would have a pretty good handle on determining falses from LEO and understanding the true limits of your V1.
    Last edited by shaggy118; 12-02-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Newcomer

thanks guys I appreciate all the help!

Newcomer

Sorry for such newb questions, but what exactly does LEO stands for?

Radar Fanatic

LEO=Law Enforcement Officer.