Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default V1 laser saved my rear

I was getting on I-395 just outside national airport and I get a laser alert. Thinking it may be wind shears but better safe than sorry I nail my brakes...and about 0.5 to 1 second later the car in front of me (the guy being hit) SLAMS on his brakes. Apparently this was good enough for the cop since the guy didn't get pulled over, but as I rounded the corner I saw the cop laughing his ass off and pointing at the car showing his partner (yes, the laser bounced off the car in front of me and I detected it even though I was around the corner). SO...the laser detector aspect of these things can be more than just a you've got a ticket alarm.
    Richard

Manufacturer

Yeah. It sounds like you were extremely lucky.

It may, in fact, be that the Valentines do posses the "best" laser section of all of them.

I say this because, I remember at Carl's testing venue two years ago in 2003, the Valentine was the only windshield mount detector capable of seeing laser at 500' relative to all of the others.

We have believed and state on our site that the V1 appears to have the best chance of seeing this advanced laser.

I am not sure about the light refracting around the corner as that would be pretty unbelievable (but possible, I guess.) Is there any possibility that it was alerting to the wind shear equipment coincidentally? If you drive on 395 often, does it tend to alert to laser in the same area at different times?

If not, I would say, its an incredible story! BTW, where was your detector mounted?

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Speed Demon

I suppose it could have been reacting to the wind shears. I drive on 395 every time I either go home or leave for college, but since I just got the detector recently, this is only the second time I've driven there with a detector. The last time I was there the detector didn't give any alert. I think I may have been helped by the fact that I was following too closely (I was getting ready to pass, I'd say I was maybe 3 car lengths behind the car in front of me when I got the warning).
    Richard

Manufacturer

marlinspike,

Where was your detector mounted at the time? Hi/Lo and Center?

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Speed Demon

Above my rear view mirror and below my tint band (though I think the top part of that translucent red visor thing on the V1 might be a little bit in the tint band). I have it just left of center as far as left to right orientation is concerned.
    Richard

Manufacturer

There may, indeed, be something to MV's claims to mounting high for laser as well.

I may have to reaccess my think here.

Its a trade-off, perhaps, mount low and see laser when up close [and personal] or mount high to increase chances of getting the rare "early" alert if someone ahead of you is being targeted...

The Veil Guy 8)

Speed Demon

I would stopped and asked them to hit me a few times (these guys looked like the Super Troopers. Even though his partner was in the process of giving a ticket he got his attention to point and laugh at the guy in front of me who slammed on his brakes full force), but detectors were illegal where I was.
    Richard

Good Citizen

Please remember....laser and light can not bend, period. If it could, this world would be a very very different place indeed.

Speed Demon

But it can reflect.
    Richard

Good Citizen

yep...reflects in a straight manner also. So, the prbabilty that a reflection from another car went to hit the front of a second car is quite remote...it would most likely be reflected sooner or later into the sky/air