Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default Another "J Bug" post, sort of

I don't know, guys. I have been using firmware rev 3.824 on my V1 since last June and I still have yet to see this thing junk out a real Ka alert. About 10 minutes ago I had probably the longest Ka encounter ever and still nothing. A LEO running constant Ka pulled out in front of me so I followed him for about a quarter mile. He then pulled into a fire station and then back out behind me after a little while, catching up with me for 2-3 miles. So we're talking at least one minute while the signal was ramping up followed by 2-3 minutes listening to it at full strength. That would have overloaded it if anything were going to.

I'm not exactly sure what make/model of unit this town uses, but the dual antennas are very small cylinders which are generally mounted outside of the cruiser near the "B" pillar.

Either I'm not running into the right frequency of radar that it takes to cause a false "J", or there's something about my version of V1 that's preventing the problem from occurring.

V1 Zombie

I'm dead sure the problem is the V1 detecting other junk detector's at the same time as a cop. I'm sure this is not a big problem to the point of getting a ticket. Think some bell boys play this one out as much as pross

Good Citizen

Man i don't know what's the big deal about the "j" alert anyway. Before buying the V1 i was skeptical becuase i read all about this "j" alert thing but after recieving the V1, i never receved a "j" on a real Ka. Beside if you get a Ka band going off, wouldn't it be wise to slow down weather it's "j" or not. I swear people can blow things out of porportion sometime

Newcomer

Yeah .. I've got that bug on my v1 (i just bought it less than a month ago) and what happens is... I get a real KA alert. Then I came right behind the cop while my v1 has the ka on and signal full blast. So here im driving right behind the cop and all of a sudden, a supermarket door is in sight (k band door openers) and then the Ka got junked (J out). Still, the cop was in front of me. Once we got out of the way of the K band supermarket door, the ka jumped on again and to full alert.

Experienced

I've had 2 junked alerts that were real threats and that's only within my 2 weeks of ownership of the V1.

The problem is, once it junks the alert, it mutes it. It doesn't even display an alert to that frequency anymore until the radar is outta range. I was able to pass the LEOs and the V1 was quiet. If I had not visually confirmed the legit LEOs, I would've sped up back to cruising speed only to possibly expose myself to being lit up.

Quote Originally Posted by ryce4u
    Man i don't know what's the big deal about the "j" alert anyway. Before buying the V1 i was skeptical becuase i read all about this "j" alert thing but after recieving the V1, i never receved a "j" on a real Ka. Beside if you get a Ka band going off, wouldn't it be wise to slow down weather it's "j" or not. I swear people can blow things out of porportion sometime

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by ghz1
    I'm dead sure the problem is the V1 detecting other junk detector's at the same time as a cop. I'm sure this is not a big problem to the point of getting a ticket. Think some bell boys play this one out as much as pross
    you don't listen to people that know that the "J" alert is caused by an over load of Ka waves? it is sort of obvious that there is a cop though i think....but still this is a problem

This isn't a problem the "BELL boys" did this is has been a problem with the V1 for the past couple of revisions....and I know for a fact Mike is working hard to try and fix this problem and if you notice it's hardly BEL boys posting about these threads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mase_
    I've had 2 junked alerts that were real threats and that's only within my 2 weeks of ownership of the V1.

The problem is, once it junks the alert, it mutes it. It doesn't even display an alert to that frequency anymore until the radar is outta range. I was able to pass the LEOs and the V1 was quiet. If I had not visually confirmed the legit LEOs, I would've sped up back to cruising speed only to possibly expose myself to being lit up.
    thank you for the explanation

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Newcomer

Does anyone have that link with the "J" on empty street with LEO?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atriety23
    Does anyone have that link with the "J" on empty street with LEO?
    Sorry i was thinking of another video of Happya$$'s this one is not on an empty street
    http://radardetector.net/viewtopic.p...ighlight=alert

Scanner-RS Pro-96

V1 Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    Quote Originally Posted by ghz1
    you don't listen to people that know that the "J" alert is caused by an over load of Ka waves? it is sort of obvious that there is a cop though i think....but still this is a problem

This isn't a problem the "BELL boys" did this is has been a problem with the V1 for the past couple of revisions....and I know for a fact Mike is working hard to try and fix this problem and if you notice it's hardly BEL boys posting about these threads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mase_

thank you for the explanation
    turn it off then back on next time :shock:

I was lucky enough to talk to your old mate Mike and he did say "its a over load and they thought they had it right "but you know we couldn't get it to false out on us....you can only drive by a gun so many times in a day.." In the nexts breath he did agree with me that a detector (even a rx65 could make it) :j: out when detecting the same cop. I ask you this you crazy guy you what will the higher chance be a false "j" alert from a over load or a "J" alert from another detector detecting the same cop. and could you even tell which was which.

-BEL Vector 995
    -Lidatek LE30 Dual
    -VEIL Stealth Coating
    -LaserShield
    -Uniden BC246t Scanner
    -Uniden Pro510xl CB
    -Wilson 500 antenna

Crazy guy tell us how is it you know some much about the V1 when you dont even own one

Advanced Member

I have tried my friends V1s for about 2 months but decided money is better spent on a jammer, CB, and scanner.....I am constantly monitoring the V1 simply cause the performance of this detector and the features intrique me, mainly arrows. I am also constantly getting feedback from the other administrators about their V1. This is a detector i am quite interested in buying so of course i will do my research, the day this "J" bug is fixed and Mike makes his detector invisible to spectre I am there until then i will wait. hopefully Mike deals with spectre soon so i can use a V1 up in Canada if not my money goes to the STi if it's emission free.

I have been on this forum for awhile (almost a year) and have heard the issues of all detectors...fortunately, i haven't had an issue with my set up yet. but i have read everyone's issues with X, Y and Z detector....I am quite informed

And if you have looked at most of my posts the V1 us my first choice despite it's issue of J alerts which hardly ever happen my estimate would be 1-2% of Ka threats, if that

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have certain need in my detectors which include good Ka detection, and spectre invisible for when i move to canada. Somehow i believe that Mike will have his detectors invisible to spectre and i would be interested to see the performance of these spectre invisible detectors

Scanner-RS Pro-96