Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V1 remote mute

Power User

Default V1 remote mute

Does anyone have a DIY on how to wire a remote mute button? I'm using a VR remote adapter and a CD. Is there a wire that you just splice a momentary switch into?

Good Citizen

Default Re: V1 remote mute

Quote Originally Posted by srtga View Post
    Does anyone have a DIY on how to wire a remote mute button? I'm using a VR remote adapter and a CD. Is there a wire that you just splice a momentary switch into?
    The remote audio adapter doesnt mute it? That would REALLY suck SO bad cause thats the main reason Im doing the mod, and Ill be on my second audio adapter whenever it gets here. I thought it was just like the V1 knob and muted too. Damn That sucks, I would also like a remote mute.

Tell me it isnt so....

Hey did you see this THIN CD? I wonder if they would make it colored? I have also been looking at the CD mounted in the RV mirror where you cant see it. I think the website is Stealth Mirror - Integerated Solutions for Valentine V1 Radar Detectors. The guy said he is taking all of Febuary off but he could do it if I send him a mirror (eBay $50) and the CD. He also does the color mod.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by LAC_STS View Post
    The remote audio adapter doesnt mute it? That would REALLY suck SO bad cause thats the main reason Im doing the mod, and Ill be on my second audio adapter whenever it gets here. I thought it was just like the V1 knob and muted too. Damn That sucks, I would also like a remote mute.

Tell me it isnt so....

Hey did you see this THIN CD? I wonder if they would make it colored? I have also been looking at the CD mounted in the RV mirror where you cant see it. I think the website is Stealth Mirror - Integerated Solutions for Valentine V1 Radar Detectors. The guy said he is taking all of Febuary off but he could do it if I send him a mirror (eBay $50) and the CD. He also does the color mod.
    No, it performs all the functions of the knob on the main unit. I'm just ditching it because I was having some bleedover issues with the switch being so close to my CB. I'm just going to put a mute button in it's spot. You can mute and change modes with just a mute button anyway and that's all I ever used mine for. About the only thing I'll miss is the ability to turn it off but I have a master kill switch which controls a relay connected to an auxilliary fuse panel which runs all my CMs

Good luck with #2

I went with a regular CD. I was looking into a RV mirror install. Even went as far as ordering some mirror silver removing stuff, some small hole punches, testing templates on an old RVM etc. and an extra STS mirror but decided against it after a run-in with a Trooper who gave me a lot of flak about my CMs...

It would be cool but do you want GSP behind you firing I/O at you while watching your RVM blink! I can clearly see the V1 in my wifes car at light up at night when hers is alerting and I'm behind her. She has 15% tint as well...
    Last edited by srtga; 01-25-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Good Citizen

Tell me it isnt so....

No, it performs all the functions of the knob on the main unit. I'm just ditching it because I was having some bleedover issues with the switch being so close to my CB. I'm just going to put a mute button in it's spot. You can mute and change modes with just a mute button anyway and that's all I ever used mine for. About the only thing I'll miss is the ability to turn it off but I have a master kill switch which controls a relay connected to an auxilliary fuse panel which runs all my CMs

Good luck with #2

Cool you scared me for a min. I imagine it would be just like the remote audio. If you take the CD apart you should be able to see if you can take the mute button out.

Power User

Found this thanks to the professor:

So do I just clip the mute wire in the bundle to the CD, and put a resistor and switch inline and tie it back in to the ground wire in the same bundle or will it work without cutting the wire?

Advanced Member

The best way to do it is to plug in an RJ-11 splitter into the accessory port. Plug the concealed display into one port of the splitter. Then cut a phone cord, add the switch/resistor to the "cut end", and plug the "RJ-11" end into the splitter.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz View Post
    The best way to do it is to plug in an RJ-11 splitter into the accessory port. Plug the concealed display into one port of the splitter. Then cut a phone cord, add the switch/resistor to the "cut end", and plug the "RJ-11" end into the splitter.
    Thank you sir! So I'll basically have a "loop" running out of the splitter with the switch/resistor running from the mute to the ground within the same RJ11?

Like this:

Advanced Member

Thank you sir! So I'll basically have a "loop" running out of the splitter with the switch/resistor running from the mute to the ground within the same RJ11?

Like this:

Yep, you got it. Just make sure that you get the pins right: you don't want to jumper 12V to the data line...

http://www.guysoflidar.com/files/v1/...ck_Summary.pdf

Power User

Like this:

Yep, you got it. Just make sure that you get the pins right: you don't want to jumper 12V to the data line...

http://www.guysoflidar.com/files/v1/...ck_Summary.pdf
    Get one off ebay for like 6 bucks or so.

Good Citizen

I have also been looking at the CD mounted in the RV mirror where you cant see it. I think the website is Stealth Mirror - Integerated Solutions for Valentine V1 Radar Detectors. The guy said he is taking all of Febuary off but he could do it if I send him a mirror (eBay $50) and the CD. He also does the color mod.
    The color mod is done by languy99 who does them here too, if all you want is a color display you should reach out to him directly. That's my web site by the way and yes, unfortunately I'm going to be away for a few weeks from Thursday but will still be getting emails etc.