Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Should I upgrade my 1.7 V1??

I have been following the discussion forum for about a month, great forum btw, and am considering upgrading my 1.7 V1 to the lastest when I am in Cincinnati the week after Christmas. My wife and I both have V1's so I have two units to upgrade and want to be sure it is the right thing to do. V1 phone support says the major difference is more horsepower on the Laser side and since I live in Ohio where Laser is big, well you know, and the new unit has POP. I am interested in better laser and it would seem POP might be nice. What I do not want is more falses than I have now.

Has anyone else upgraded from a 1.7?
    Are you glad you did it?
    What do you like about the new unit?
    What don't you like about the new unit?
    Do you wish you had stayed with the 1.7?
    Any other information would be helpful for me to make my decision.
    Thanks in advance.

Good Citizen

Default Re: Should I upgrade my 1.7 V1??

Quote Originally Posted by was
    I have been following the discussion forum for about a month, great forum btw, and am considering upgrading my 1.7 V1 to the lastest when I am in Cincinnati the week after Christmas. My wife and I both have V1's so I have two units to upgrade and want to be sure it is the right thing to do. V1 phone support says the major difference is more horsepower on the Laser side and since I live in Ohio where Laser is big, well you know, and the new unit has POP. I am interested in better laser and it would seem POP might be nice. What I do not want is more falses than I have now.

Has anyone else upgraded from a 1.7?
    Are you glad you did it?
    What do you like about the new unit?
    What don't you like about the new unit?
    Do you wish you had stayed with the 1.7?

Any other information would be helpful for me to make my decision.
    Thanks in advance.
    I have the newest unit. rev 3.826. This is my second V1, Glad i bought it than other radar. I would upgrade just becuase 1.7 is about 3 or 4 years now and there's a lot of changes has been made.

Lead Foot

I would definately upgrade if I was you. I always have to have the newest all the time. Three V1 since 1998 and I now have the NEWEST again. If Valentine Research did not make IN HOUSE IMPROVEMENTS it would not be worthwhile to put the product into the market place. So having faith in VR.......UPGRADE without a DOUBT!

Goto this website and put in your serial nr. and you will see what you will get.

http://valentine1.com/upgrades/

This is what you should get or something like that. Hope this helps?

Our Instant Upgrade* will make the following improvements to your V1.

Our best Ka-band performance, including full "superwide" coverage (33.4 - 36.0 GHz), today's long range, much better resistance to Ka false alarms, and POP Protection from MPH BEE™ III and Enforcer™ radars.
    Our best X-band performance.
    Our best K-band performance including POP Protection from MPH Enforcer&trade radars.
    Adds radar coverage on Ku-band (used in Europe).
    Adds our latest laser warning, front and rear while reducing the "thickness" of your V1.
    Latest windshield mount with new suction cups.
    Latest visor mount.
    New Lighter Power Adapter with mount for Concealed Display.
    New Direct-wire Power Adapter.
    New coiled cord.
    New straight cord.
    New wiring-harness connector.
    Dual-Lock® fastener.
    New Owners Manual.
    Spare fuse.
    Spare suction cups.
    One-year limited warranty, same as new units.

Radar Fanatic

I bought a 3.818 version in March and sent it back mainly because of the K band ghosting up to 3-4 bogies on a single radar source.
    VR does not admit that this is a problem when I talk to them.
    Some of us have figured out that this glitch is from overloading and only does it on POP units. Kind of makes the bogie counter useless and does not happen on my 1.7
    I only received one "J"unk alert in the 3 weeks that I had my 1.8 and don't know if it was LEO or junk but it was cool, I miss that one. Ka is supposed to be a little better on 1.8 but I could not notice a difference. I liked how 1.8 shows if any bands are turned off on start up.
    Too many glitches right now and laser has always been cutting edge on a V1 the new improved laser is not needed and just causes more laser falses. (toll plaza, cruise control) My 1.7 can pick up red neon signs close up and older Envoy brake lights but I don't believe it picks up laser cruise control.
    VR does have a policy that if you don't like your new unit they will send your old one back during the trial period. I did not use this method.
    Since Ku appears not to be a new threat any time soon or ever I am waiting 1-3 years down the line for a 1.9.
    My vote is keep the 1.7 or just try a new one for three weeks.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by V1 Dave
    I bought a 3.818 version in March and sent it back mainly because of the K band ghosting up to 3-4 bogies on a single radar source.
    VR does not admit that this is a problem when I talk to them.
    Some of us have figured out that this glitch is from overloading and only does it on POP units. Kind of makes the bogie counter useless and does not happen on my 1.7
    I only received one "J"unk alert in the 3 weeks that I had my 1.8 and don't know if it was LEO or junk but it was cool, I miss that one. Ka is supposed to be a little better on 1.8 but I could not notice a difference. I liked how 1.8 shows if any bands are turned off on start up.
    Too many glitches right now and laser has always been cutting edge on a V1 the new improved laser is not needed and just causes more laser falses. (toll plaza, cruise control) My 1.7 can pick up red neon signs close up and older Envoy brake lights but I don't believe it picks up laser cruise control.
    VR does have a policy that if you don't like your new unit they will send your old one back during the trial period. I did not use this method.
    Since Ku appears not to be a new threat any time soon or ever I am waiting 1-3 years down the line for a 1.9.

Yes VR has admitted to the problem and I have that from VR themselves. That is why 3.826 is out. How can you give someone the advice of keeping the V1 1.7 versus having the newest in IN HOUSE TECHNOLOGY? The difference in KA band and laser detection is greatly improved on the two units. Since he does mention in his post that he lives in Ohio and LASER is a BIG threat then why try to tell him otherwise?? Ignore the post above and UPGRADE!

Yoda of Radar

IMO there are still a few "bugs" with 1.8. I'd wait until everything is in place.

It's not like your 1.7 is a poor detector, it is rather good.

Lead Foot

What is the major bug? One must ask themselves that question. OK yes the GHOST BOGEY issue......has been addressed. But what about having BETTER KA and LASER detection. I saw a DRAMATIC increase in KA radar detection on the 1.8 versus 1.7

OK Windows XP had its BUGS then we got XP SP2. Should I have gone back to Window 2000 or ME or even Windows 98? Not a chance! XP runs with all the NEWEST software and why settle for the OLD games. What about the V1 1.8? Does it have better SOFTWARE? Is the DETECTION BETTER? What about LASER? Then again I should never have bought Windows XP rather "WAITED" until something better came along. COME ON.............where is your REASONING???

Good Citizen

why wait when VR back everything they sell and do. Name one person that had a V1 and had a complaint about VR customer service

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by bogey
    What is the major bug? One must ask themselves that question. OK yes the GHOST BOGEY issue......has been addressed. But what about having BETTER KA and LASER detection. I saw a DRAMATIC increase in KA radar detection on the 1.8 versus 1.7
    I just my upgraded 3.789 to the 3.826 two days ago, I notice that I received 1-2 more K-band bogeys on my 3.826 vs 3.819. Though many of times when I receive multi signals is there are usually 2-4 field disturbance
    transceivers on the front doors, one per side of each door.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey
    OK Windows XP had its BUGS then we got XP SP2. Should I have gone back to Window 2000 or ME or even Windows 98?
    As I am a IS-tech no way would I tell you to go back to WinME.

Cheetah Rep

Quote Originally Posted by V1 Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    IMO there are still a few "bugs" with 1.8. I'd wait until everything is in place.
    Agreed. I would wait a bit. Once more people have thoroughly tested 826 to see if all features work, along with no ghosting, no "J" isuue, etc... then i would consider upgrading.
    8 revision changes this year alone (from 818 to 826) and they still have reports of issues. now that does include a hardware change for Euro mode.

Quote Originally Posted by ryce4u
    why wait when VR back everything they sell and do. Name one person that had a V1 and had a complaint about VR customer service
    Okay, me.
    Mine ghosted right out of the box. (818) bought this year. I stayed in email contact with VR from day 1. VR wrote "We have heard of the Bogey Counter occasionally registering two bogeys at extremely close range but we don't have a fix for this as of yet. It doesn't affect all V1's and only seems to do this at about point blank distance." Mine will ghost 2-3 at 1/4 mile away.
    I eventually sent mine in for a "fix" and i got 819. it still ghosts. If this is such a small issue, and they knew mine was affected from day 1, why didn't they swap it for one that didn't ghost? THAT would be great customer service. Also i put a long letter in the box again detailing the issues i had, along with several questions that NEVER got addressed.

Now, i do think their customer service is better than most, but they still have a lot of room for improvement. emails do get answered quickly, they do answer the phones ( although you will get different answers on the same question, depending on who you talk to), and they have quick turn around.

The one point to remember is, just because they throw in a patch and get it back quick, you shouldn't be spending your time and money to do it in the first place, since they should have got it right the first time.

As for performance, ghosting issue aside, mine performs very well. i can't rely much on the bogey counter, but i get good range, and the laser sensitvity is unequaled. i have only had a rare false or two, from trailblazers at a stop light, but every laser encounter it almost always alerts before my Blinder does, and occasionally at the same time.

was,
    good luck with your decision, and if you do upgrade, by all means gives us a good detailed comparison.