Newcomer

Default newbie observations

I drive a lot and I enjoy driving but I am totally new to this 'hobby'. I was debating between V1 and 9500xi and I decided on V1. After a week of using it I have some observations I'd like to share. I am sure it's all been biten to death but still.

- Almost no falses on highways.
    - Many falses in cities. Mostly on K (WA) and X (Vancouver, BC). However I got couple of possible laser falses.
    - V1 is a very sensitive and precision device. As far as I can see falses look different and I hope this is possible to learn how to read alerts and distinguish falses.
    - I am amazed how many LEO are checking the speed. Just today on my way from Vancouver to Seattle V1 detected 3 or 4 traps. One was interesting as I think it was a car following me with some distance and doing Ka IO and then at the same time I got a new weak but steady growing Ka alert in front. I saw a police car in about 1km.
    - Arrows and bogey counter provide very informative view. I do not think it would be possible to understand the situation I just described without them.
    - I like observing and I enjoy playing with V1. Arrows and the counter make it even more fun!

Cheers

snoopyc4

Default Re: newbie observations

Good observation! The V1 really shines on the highway. If you do mostly highway driving, then you made the right choice.

Professional
    west coast of the ___American Corporatocracy___ X-band is alive-deadly-expensive

Welcome to the Forum
    and
    The Enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by mstolpner View Post
    I drive a lot and I enjoy driving but I am totally new to this 'hobby'. I was debating between V1 and 9500xi and I decided on V1. After a week of using it I have some observations I'd like to share. I am sure it's all been biten to death but still.

- Many falses in cities. Mostly on K (WA) and X (Vancouver, BC). However I got couple of possible laser falses.
    - V1 is a very sensitive and precision device. As far as I can see falses look different and I hope this is possible to learn how to read alerts and distinguish falses.
    - I am amazed how many LEO are checking the speed. Just today on my way from Vancouver to Seattle V1 detected 3 or 4 traps. One was interesting as I think it was a car following me with some distance and doing Ka IO and then at the same time I got a new weak but steady growing Ka alert in front. I saw a police car in about 1km.
    - Arrows and bogey counter provide very informative view. I do not think it would be possible to understand the situation I just described without them.
    - I like observing and I enjoy playing with V1. Arrows and the counter make it even more fun!

Cheers
    there's nothing like 'the right tool for the job'

Complementing the arrows and the Bogey Counter is the V-1s' Linear Ramp-up. Meter strength indictes proximity(closeness) more so than any other device. So, YES; in time you will be able to tell a Speed Signal from a falses, even amongst a cluster of falses

Good Citizen

Cheers
    I agree .. If you do mostly highway driving the V1 will work great. If you do both, I would have went with the 9500ix. I've been using the 9500ix for several months now and it's fantastic. I can see that you were trying to decide which one to buy and chose the V1. I can only say if you're still under the 30 day return with the V1, I would try the 9500ix before you’re stuck with the V1

Just MHO

Peace, Ben

Experienced

I couldn't make up my mind so I got the V1 for open road and the 9500ix for in town. I have over 2 hours of open road each work day.
    Although the V1 can, does make a lot more noise in town, just learning the alerts helps decipher what's going on, but I don't like to much as it can get annoying at times. I don't use the POP, and I turned off the X & K. Much quieter for the short time getting between home and the freeway/highway. But on days off just running around in town, I'll use the 9500ix.
    When I go visit one of the kids in Nevada, I'll have to remember to enable the POP feature.
    I'm not into it like many others, just saying what and how I use what I have.

Professional

Cheers
    What settings do you have the V1 on? Have you considered interfacing it with a Cheetah C100 or mirror?

Newcomer

I have factory settings. I will probably disable X. I may try tweaking K - I cannot disable it completely as LOE use K radars in my area. But I want to play with it as is for some time just to get a feeling. Do you have any suggestions regarding settings?

Besides V1 I have my phone almost always on my dash for GPS and other functions. I do not want yet another piece there. I am hoping that someone will interface V1 with my phone soon. I can see a few attempts already.

Professional

I drive a lot and I enjoy driving but I am totally new to this 'hobby'. I was debating between V1 and 9500xi and I decided on V1. ...
    I have factory settings. I will probably disable X. I may try tweaking K - I cannot disable it completely as LOE use K radars in my area. But I want to play with it as is for some time just to get a feeling. Do you have any suggestions regarding settings?

Besides V1 I have my phone almost always on my dash for GPS and other functions. I do not want yet another piece there. I am hoping that someone will interface V1 with my phone soon. I can see a few attempts already.
    There's your problem. You can't really expect anything else with factory settings other than "many falses in cities." For K band, I would recommend muting weak signals for 30 seconds. In your situation, turn off the laser alerts also. Also turn off x band alerts. Also turn off POP. Also set to little l logic mode.

Power User

Arrows are especially useful in finding unmarked cars using radar blending with the traffic flow.

Newcomer

[/quote]
    There's your problem. You can't really expect anything else with factory settings other than "many falses in cities." For K band, I would recommend muting weak signals for 30 seconds. In your situation, turn off the laser alerts also. Also turn off x band alerts. Also turn off POP. Also set to little l logic mode.[/quote]
    Thank you, I will play with the settings. Is it safe to turn off the laser and the POP though? I get IO alerts often.

BTW, is it possible to get IO on K? I got 2 or 4 on almost full strength in front today while driving on I5. I think it lasted for about a minute and then I got one from the back after I passed an exit. I assumed it was coming from a moving car. However I thought that IO is used on Ka only.