Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by bwahahaha
    I do have one gripe, though -- a defect that existed in 1.7 still exists in 3.826. If the unit has been left overnight in a cool car (45-50 degrees or so), it will false on Ka (2-3 LEDs) until the car's heater heats it up. That defect was one of the things I'd hoped to get rid of with the upgrade so I'm a little disappointed to see that it's still there after all these years. Other than that, no complaints -- $189 well spent.
    Interesting, never have I had this problem ever.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Quote Originally Posted by V1 Dave
    This is exactly how these drones operate sporadic different level blasts up to an instant on full tone at close range then disappears.
    Rear shots happen as well as they are mounted on both sides of the freeway for each direction.
    That's insanely obnoxious.
    Man glad I don't have those damn things around here!!

V1 Zombie

bwahahaha wrote

I do have one gripe, though -- a defect that existed in 1.7 still exists in 3.826. If the unit has been left overnight in a cool car (45-50 degrees or so), it will false on Ka (2-3 LEDs) until the car's heater heats it up. That defect was one of the things I'd hoped to get rid of with the upgrade so I'm a little disappointed to see that it's still there after all these years. Other than that, no complaints -- $189 well spent.

I have never had this and i live in a cool ass place i would look at your power connection etc etc . Or maybe your should try a cold start up in another car and see what happens. Im really interested in this :shock:

Radar Fanatic

I have never had that cold Ka false either and my unit has stayed on the visor in the driveway over night for over ten years.
    You have something going on, my bet is that one of your neighbors has a Capra radar detector that is left on.
    I'll bet you don't have this problem on a cold start in a different location.

Lead Foot

I have been leaving my V1 in the windshield since 1992 in the hotest of summers and the coldest of winters and I have never experienced that problem either.

Newcomer

I have never had that cold Ka false either and my unit has stayed on the visor in the driveway over night for over ten years.
    You have something going on, my bet is that one of your neighbors has a Capra radar detector that is left on.
    I really think it's some sort of hardware defect that just hasn't been corrected over the years. I was in Texas for years with my 1.7, and never had the problem. Once here in San Jose, with the car sitting in the parking lot and the cooler temps, I started getting the falses. I would attribute it to another detector or some other interference in the parking lot, but it lasts for five or so minutes (i.e. until the heater heats it up). By that time, I'm miles away from the lot and on the open road. And, once the heat really kicks in, it goes away quickly. Not a big deal, but given the fact that it's happened with two units since '97 and is so reproduceable, it's gotta be a bug. It actually does occur in other locations if the temps are right -- but not a big deal since there's an easy workaround (blast it with the heater) and once it's warmed up it runs flawlessly.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by bwahahaha
    I really think it's some sort of hardware defect that just hasn't been corrected over the years. I was in Texas for years with my 1.7, and never had the problem. Once here in San Jose, with the car sitting in the parking lot and the cooler temps, I started getting the falses. I would attribute it to another detector or some other interference in the parking lot, but it lasts for five or so minutes (i.e. until the heater heats it up). By that time, I'm miles away from the lot and on the open road. And, once the heat really kicks in, it goes away quickly. Not a big deal, but given the fact that it's happened with two units since '97 and is so reproduceable, it's gotta be a bug. It actually does occur in other locations if the temps are right -- but not a big deal since there's an easy workaround (blast it with the heater) and once it's warmed up it runs flawlessly.
    If you are having Ka falsing because of thermal cycling then I would send it back in for repair. I have 2 V1's, the first one I have since 1992 and its been through all the upgrades and as you know some of the upgrades were a replacement unit and I have never experienced this with any of them.

Either somethig is wrong with your V1 or you have interference some where.

Radar Fanatic

bwahahaha, If no one else on this board has ever experienced this and you have had two units do it I can't help but think you have some kind of unique problem.
    Have you tried this unit in another vehicle?
    Radar detectors can do strange things sometimes it the current is not right.
    Does the alternator appear to be putting out the right current?
    Is the power cord that you are using from your old V1.7? If so try another one.
    I'm guessing that you are not using option (6) (false alarm guard on Ka band) in the reprogramming guide as that will cause the V1 to false Ka.
    If all of these are done then just send it in for repair but send your power cord as well, it is only going to cost you shipping one way.
    I am still willing to switch units with you for a week or so.

Lead Foot

Default I drive in the San Francisco Bay area too

I am experiencing the same problems on both x and K bands. I have read on how to reprogram to shut these two bands off but don't understand how to do it. I have had at least one laser detection and a few KA detection but majority is K band then X-band. What is the easiest way to reprogram this V-1?

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by ghz1
    bwahahaha wrote

I have never had this and i live in a cool *BEEP* place i would look at your power connection etc etc . Or maybe your should try a cold start up in another car and see what happens. Im really interested in this :shock:
    I doubt that a software issue! Mine stays in my car for 8-9 hours while Im at work and it can be -10/-15 all day long and my V-1 fires right up woth no falses or problems, she is ready to go