Question Question About A Ka Encounter This Afternoon

I have had my V1 (3.872) since September and have grown to love it. My old detector is a now retired S7 Bel V940. The difference in range between the two is simply incredible. My locals use a decent amount of I/O K Band and the V1 really shines (using rabbits of course). On the interstates, it's the Maryland State Police, which means Lidar or Ka Band. This afternoon, I encountered Ka in the form of a trooper sitting perpendicular to traffic in a break in the median on I-70. He was shooting traffic traveling East Bound as I was traveling West Bound. My confusion comes as the following: I began to pick up short brief blips of Ka a few times at the top of a hill. I traveled along for a good mile before hearing anything again. Then as I was right on top of the cruiser I again received several short weak Ka blips (no more than 3 or 4 LEDs). My question is this-- Is this normal? Was I in fact picking up the Trooper initially and then again when I arrived at his location? The signal strength never increased (I never went to full strength even while passing the trooper)? Any advice or thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Speed Demon

Default Re: Question About A Ka Encounter This Afternoon

I would say YES.

You were picking up reflections of what was probably I/O radar.

Sounds like the V1 gave you the much needed notice you were looking for and saved you a possible ticket!

Newcomer

Yes perfectly good example of V1 great ability to pick up ka I/0 MINE ALSO DID THAT and happened more than once as long as you slow down when you hear the first warning then the V1 is doing its job very well, I caught I/0 or quick trigger one of the two this morning V1 had small simple bleeps every 10 or 15 seconds on the off on then off..found the trooper hidden behind a bridge in the bushes , the V1 picked the first beeps up from 1.1 miles away i dont know how you could have any better protection than that !!! LOVE MY V1!! just not near city lol

Speed Demon

You should take V1's alert seriously whenever you are on the highway in the middle of nowhere because very likely the threat is real.

Advanced Member

Welcome to the world of instant-on. When you are the only one on the road, BLAM! Full signal for about 5 seconds! Hit the brakes and hope the blue lights do not come on!

Thanks so much on weighing in! Thus far, the only encounters with Ka Band have thankfully been C/O. I was inquiring for my own benefit and now have a much better feel for maintaining the proper distance between myself and my rabbit on the interstate. I really appreciate the input!!

Newcomer

A Similar Maryland State Police Tale - Today I pulled onto I-95 on my bike - no cars for 1/2 mile in front, no cars for 1/2 mile behind. I get a steady Ka hit from behind; after 2-3 minutes I think it *must* be false, but.... I elect to stay at 65. 2 min. later, a trooper who was blocking traffic behind zooms past me to go after the pack in front.
    - At 1/2 mile behind the signal was not strong.
    - When he got between .1 and .2 mi in front of me I didn't get any indication at all, until he passed an overhead sign.
    - Last month an MSP passed me - I couldn't detect him till .1-.2 miles behind me. After he passed, I could still see him .1 miles ahead but got very sparse hits from his constant on, and then only when there weren't cars between us.

Lessons -
    - MSP uses very low power. Take Ka hits seriously.
    - Earlier today I was thinking of dumping my V1 to get updated Laser protection. I would have been nailed.

May you ride well and often!

R.

Great advice dcbikerrick! The MSP are certainly tricky with their radar tactics and of course that's leaving Lidar out of this discussion! I have to agree that having the rear antenna on the V1 is critical to detecting a trooper in traffic from behind. I have also had a few encounters with C/O Ka to the rear. Just when you begin to doubt if he's there, sure enough another minute and he zooms by looking for a kill. Great story though, glad you remained unscathed out there!