Default Will the sun block at the top of the windshield reduce effectiveness?

I知 not talking about the tint, I知 talking about the grid of dots that GM uses.

Advanced Member

Default Re: Will the sun block at the top of the windshield reduce effectiveness?

I have read that the plastic dots do not have an effect. I am in the same boat but with a Ford with the dots above the RVM. I am going to find a X and K band door opener and test the unit's LEDs at different places in the parking lot, even when the unit is on the limit of starting to alarm. As one member wrote, got to test it for yourself, let us know how it turned out, I will..

Default Re: Will the sun block at the top of the windshield reduce effectiveness?

Is it the door opener remote that give of the x or k band?

Speed Demon

I think you are talking about the dot matrix on the windshield. First of all the suction cups won't stick to them. I have my V1 mounted there and I personally didn't notice any drop in effectiveness. I did my own non scientific test with door openors and C/O KA. I didn't notice any difference. There might a slight decrease in sensitivity but you will hardly notice it.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by 02Lightning View Post
    Yes, if you are talking about what opens the door at say a Walgreens! They sense someone watching in and open the doors by reflection of the signal back to the sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by newkid View Post
    I think you are talking about the dot matrix on the windshield. First of all the suction cups won't stick to them. I have my V1 mounted there and I personally didn't notice any drop in effectiveness. I did my own non scientific test with door openors and C/O KA. I didn't notice any difference. There might a slight decrease in sensitivity but you will hardly notice it.
    I used 3M packing tape to put over the dot matrix and I haven't had any problems with the suction cups letting go. Plus if you have the tint and dot matrix then you can't even see the tape on the windshield.

[QUOTE=gilberto814;701744
    I used 3M packing tape to put over the dot matrix and I haven't had any problems with the suction cups letting go. Plus if you have the tint and dot matrix then you can't even see the tape on the windshield.[/QUOTE]

I'll try this, it's for my wifes Yukon Denali. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gilberto814 View Post
    Yes, if you are talking about what opens the door at say a Walgreens! They sense someone watching in and open the doors by reflection of the signal back to the sensor.

I used 3M packing tape to put over the dot matrix and I haven't had any problems with the suction cups letting go. Plus if you have the tint and dot matrix then you can't even see the tape on the windshield.
    Went to the car to check it out and the dot matrix must be between the glass, can't feel it.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by gilberto814 View Post

Went to the car to check it out and the dot matrix must be between the glass, can't feel it.
    Then you don't need the tape just mount and enjoy

Banned

Yes the dots can interfere, i had my V1 slightly blocked and now that its not it appears to be more consistent. But the dots on my car (Acura TL) are on the inside and have mettle properties.

I found the tape to pull off under the suction cups in heat, so i switched to plexi glass then to an actual glass plate.

Advanced Member

X2. The dots on the glass of my Ford is a plastic film and you can feel them. If the dots are inside the glass, they could be made of part metal particles and block the radar. Test it out first! Great ideal on the 3M tape....