Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ka Band falsing

Newcomer

Default Ka Band falsing

I'v got my V1 set up as listed in my sig. The cops here in NZ only use Ka and LASER enforcing gear, the last of the K gear being ditched about 5+ years ago. The good news is that this means that I can turn the K and X bands off, greatly reducing my need to filter false bogyes out. I can drive around the middle of a city and the V1 is as silent as a sleeping baby, regardless of the mode (A,l,L).

On the open highway though, I'm getting about 5-6 false Ka alerts for every actual LEO. So far, the V1 has never given me a "J" signal. I end up getting a alert from the V1 and find myself scanning the horizon looking for a cruiser... more often than not it's some anonymous car going the other way with a couple of suction cups on his windscreen. I gather that using either of the logic modes won't help here as they don't affect Ka band?

The V1 has worked very well thus far and the falses around town are non-existant... it's just pi$$ing me off a little that the level of falsing on the open highway with junk signals from the plethora of low-brow detectors on the market might cause me to start looking at the V1 like it's crying wolf.

Advanced Member

Are you sure you didn't turn off the "Ka False Alert Guard"? That would give exactly what you are describing...

Ignor... my error... thought he wrote K band false.. and it was Ka. Doh! :shock:

Post removed by poster for inaccurate information by same.

Newcomer

Yeap, I'm sure... the Ka false alert guard is still active (#6 in programming mode still shows an UP arrow)

From what I've heard, VR have lowered the threshold of falsing on Ka on rev 3.826 to prevent real threats being "J'd"? If that's the case then what I'm seeing might just be the fruits of this... the fact that I've got to live with Ka falsing. I've yet to see this unit "J" any signal... false or otherwise.

Newcomer

Another thing I just thought of, I run with Ka increased reporting on (DOWN arrow on option #5)... this is reccommended by the NZ distributors to increase the reporting strength of Ka band.... I just wonder if this also changes the junking threshold at all.... I've never run with the Ka sensitivity at the factory setting so if I get time in the coming weeks I might try flicking this back to factory and see if I can notice any difference.

Newcomer

Hmmm POP isn't used here (the NZ police as far as I'm aware use exclusively STALKER gear, not MPH gear) but I'd be reluctant to turn it off as they don't exactly advertise when they're upgrading to new gear.... our police force are always looking for the latest and greatest to stop us speeding, whereas if you need them to come when your house is being broken into they've never got the resources to come and help!

Newcomer

Hi Esprit,

I have POP 'off' on my RX65 as falses were too annoying and it's not used here. They are fond of instant-on though

I get a few short Ka falses here too thanks to so many cheapo Uniden, RMR etc RDs being sold on a certain auction website. I guess that super-sensitive V1 of yours is just draggin' em in.

I have experienced K-band in some smaller north island towns around the central plateau so it may pay to turn that back on if you plan to venture 'down-country'.

Lead Foot

Default I have got a few falses on KA band also

but it gets alot more falses on K band and X band. I am trying to figure out simplyl how to turn off the x-band and I did read the instruction on the Valentine site but don't understand it. Simply put is there an easier way to explain the programming?

Professional

I suggest you turn off POP, that will get rid of those falses you're having