Professional

Default my V1 in EURO mode's bogey count saved me today

Hello

As u know, i'm in HK and all they have are multanova's which offer very very little warning time, and u really do need a narrow band 34.3ghz detector.

anyways......

Carlos & NVR2FAST in particular will understand what i'm saying here.

So i was driving on the highway.....doing 120 km/h in a 80 zone, and my RD goes off, but i did not slow down since i knew it was the fixed photo box (birdcage) on the opposite side of the road. Just as i was almost about to go past the radar, still i did not slow down. SUddenly my V1 did that "dee da doo" sound and the bogey count increased to "2".

I was so surprised, then i braked immediately. My arrows lighted up front and back, meaning there was another radar up ahead. I was really shocked since there is never a radar at that point.

Up ahead, under a bridge i see a multanova on the roadside, pointing in same direction as traffic, and i had plenty of time to slow down. Had i still been using my X50, i may have just not slowed down thinking it was just the alert from the radar on the opposite side!

This is the first time i've ever encountered two multanova's at the same time, coz u hardly situations like this in HK.

For those in HK who might know where i'm talking about, Route 1. coming back from new territories, heading towards kowloon on that long staight stretch near Prince of Wales hospital, there is the orange bird cage hidden just next to the trees, then up ahead there is place where the traffic joins in from "siu lek yuen".

I never thought the bogey counter would ever be useful for me but today it saved me!

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: my V1 in EURO mode's bogey count saved me today

Quote Originally Posted by Dilip
    Had i still been using my X50, i may have just not slowed down thinking it was just the alert from the radar on the opposite side!

I never thought the bogey counter would ever be useful for me but today it saved me!
    I should hope not...it would have been your lack of (not) using the correct features on the x50 that would have got you into trouble, not the x50.
    The x50 not only tells you another source is in the area...it displays the band and shows its signal strength. It can hold: 2-Ka sources, 2-K sources, 4-X sources...it is called EXPertMeter and comes in very handy if one knows how to use it...

I will say the x50 is NOT suited for your area...you DO need an optional narrow Ka band detector for those mutlinovas aka the V1!...

But as far as bogey counter (EXP) the x50 has it and it is great if its used correctly...if not its user error (just wish they had more something more like 3Ka, 3K, 2X.)

Radar Fanatic

Got to love the bogy lock tone as it seems to be the biggest overlooked feature!
    Sound is your first warning, no one has time to take their eyes off the road constantly to look at a tiny display when you are bombing down the road.
    http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...ghlight=#48589

Professional

Yes, i do know about the expert mode. I tried it before, but i never used that mode since in HK there is hardly ever any warning, and on top of that it is so rare that you get instances where u encounter two radars at the same time, which is why i never used it. i know it can track multiple sources while displaying the signal strength of each one.

Professional

Good stuff, but i would have slowed down anyway... maybe i'm too cautious, but I had an encounter similar to that before with the X50, i was over confident, and finally saw a mobile unit behind a bridge leg... just slowed down in time, and after that, i decided never to risk it again, even if i seem a bit stupid slowing down. Better safe than sorry :wink:

Lead Foot

How do you reprogram your V-1 to Ku band? They come from the factory with that feature turned off. I have already turned off my X and K bands.

Radar Fanatic

Letter H arrow down turns it on.
    Sound will be just like K band and the desmil point will blink indicating that you are receiving it.

Newcomer

Default Re: my V1 in EURO mode's bogey count saved me today

I've played with the X50 and although the Expertmeter does show more info than the V1. however, signal strength meter is only represented by pixels on the display. I found it very hard to notice as my eyes are not tuned to see a single pixel when its mounted so far away on my windscreen.

The X50 is good if u dont have a V1...thats my opinion. Both RD work just a matter of taste what u prefer. Coffee or tea choice.

J

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilip
    Had i still been using my X50, i may have just not slowed down thinking it was just the alert from the radar on the opposite side!

I should hope not...it would have been your lack of (not) using the correct features on the x50 that would have got you into trouble, not the x50.
    The x50 not only tells you another source is in the area...it displays the band and shows its signal strength. It can hold: 2-Ka sources, 2-K sources, 4-X sources...it is called EXPertMeter and comes in very handy if one knows how to use it...

I will say the x50 is NOT suited for your area...you DO need an optional narrow Ka band detector for those mutlinovas aka the V1!...

But as far as bogey counter (EXP) the x50 has it and it is great if its used correctly...if not its user error (just wish they had more something more like 3Ka, 3K, 2X.)

Professional

Dilip, that's a great story! it's obvious in situations like this the V1 is without peer!

Take care.