Experienced

Default V1 Vs. Whistler Laser Test

During our recent jammer test I had a friend come out with his Whistler Pro-78SE and we decided to do some quick testing. Standing approx 50ft away from his Mustang GT, I started pulsing the Whistler with the Ultralyte 20-20, headlight, center mass and nothing would trigger the Whistler. Backed up another 50ft to approx 100ft, shot again, nothing. Went back to 50ft, shot the RD directly and sure enough, laser alert. Tried 5 times directly shooting the Whistler directly and it alerted each time, but nothing headlight and center mass. Although I do agree Whistlers are superior to a Cobra for instance, why not just invest the additional $150 or so and go with a V1, or higher end RD? Lack of knowledge I guess. The guy truly didn't even know what the different bands meant, or what to do when encountered so I gave him a quick lesson, although I'm hesitant to believe any of it stuck.

I then pulled up my vehicle running V1 + LI dual to run the same test for him. 50ft headlight, instant laser alert on both V1 + LI, 50ft center mass, instant alert both V1 + LI. Backed up to 100ft, hit the same areas and instant laser alert on both devices. Then decided to hit the side mirror for him, instant V1 + LI alert. Really put it in to perspective for him. He didn't have time to do some longer testing (2,000ft + that we completed on a longer stretch of road) and I don't know how well it would have performed, but I would be doubtful it would alert consistently to laser and I/O and the distance at which it would alert to even C/O.

Banned

Default Re: V1 Vs. Whistler Laser Test

The V1 does very well, it almost always alerts when im close to the target.

However it also lets me know as an added bonus, when its a bright sunny day, an infinity is in front, behind, next to me, even alerts me to bright neon lights.

Speed Demon

V1 is king of windshield laser detection, nothing new to report here. My Whistler only ever got laser falses from the local Weather mast, it never once alerted to a genuine source (even toll booths). My V1 falses laser every day (usually the sun).

Radar Fanatic

I'm sorry to say this but that test was useless. All you proved is that the v1 can alert to laser and the whistler has a harder time, but in the end you will end up with a ticket from both with laser. Laser detection in a RD is useless becasue it will not help you. Also you can't transpose the results from the laser test you performed to how well it works for radar. Totally different results and if you would have tested that you would have seen it.

I think you need to learn more about the differences between laser, radar ( I/O, QT, C/O) and how a detector will alert and how it should alert.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by languy99 View Post
    I'm sorry to say this but that test was useless. All you proved is that the v1 can alert to laser and the whistler has a harder time, but in the end you will end up with a ticket from both with laser. Laser detection in a RD is useless becasue it will not help you. Also you can't transpose the results from the laser test you performed to how well it works for radar. Totally different results and if you would have tested that you would have seen it.

I think you need to learn more about the differences between laser, radar ( I/O, QT, C/O) and how a detector will alert and how it should alert.
    Trust me my friend, I'm well versed when it comes to radar with 10 years of use and research. It was a simple, FUN test to reiterate the sensitivity of the two RD's laser detection capabilities. You'll notice I'm running LI. The majority of us are very well aware that RD's are useless when it comes to sensing lidar, hence the reason so many of us use jammers. I was merely displaying the sensitivity of the two units lidar sensing capabilities.

The V1 DOES however come in handy when sniffing out laser scatter in congested traffic when a LEO isn't directly targeting MY vehicle. This is where laser sensitivity ABSOLUTELY has a major impact on getting cited, or getting lucky. Although improbable most of the time to have a scatter save, I have met several people who have done just so.

Put the two side by side for comparative purposes in all types of radar scenarios. I think we all know the outcome. The radar comment wasn't an observation, more of a rhetorical outcome.
    Last edited by brettzo; 05-24-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Lead Foot

<< Whistler pro 78se user

You can find several sites that sell the pro 78se for about 150, while the cheapest V1 I've found is 450.

300 DOLLAR DIFFERENCE.

What you get PROBABLY is worth 300 dollars. But its more maintenance, and Mike B has some of the best customer support for any business, so I doubt V1 can stop it. And my pro78se alerts to K and Ka (and I think I did have a pure laser + veil + vision + really small headlights save) VERY VERY well. I bet the V1 could do better, and is probably worth 300 dollars more, as youd want the best, and this is undoubtedly the best, and performs much better than the 78se, and has a cooler name. Why 78 anyways? Such an odd number.

But is it worth 300 dollars more?

For a college kid like me who buys his groceries with dimes and the occasional quarter...no.

Besides. RADAR detectors are for RADAR. LASER jammers are for LASER. So your entire paragraph is null and void.
    Last edited by aBLTcheeseburger; 05-24-2010 at 07:42 PM.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by aBLTcheeseburger View Post
    << Whistler pro 78se user

You can find several sites that sell the pro 78se for about 150, while the cheapest V1 I've found is 450.

300 DOLLAR DIFFERENCE.

What you get PROBABLY is worth 300 dollars. But its more maintenance, and Mike B has some of the best customer support for any business, so I doubt V1 can stop it. And my pro78se alerts to K and Ka (and I think I did have a pure laser + veil + vision + really small headlights save) VERY VERY well. I bet the V1 could do better, and is probably worth 300 dollars more, as youd want the best, and this is undoubtedly the best, and performs much better than the 78se, and has a cooler name. Why 78 anyways? Such an odd number.

But is it worth 300 dollars more?

For a college kid like me who buys his groceries with dimes and the occasional quarter...no.

Besides. RADAR detectors are for RADAR. LASER jammers are for LASER. So your entire paragraph is null and void.
    Are you located outside of North America? V1 is $399, as advertised via the website for quite some time now. Whistler is $169ish on average online, although retail is quite a bit higher.

And what are you referring to by more maintenance? How is the V1 more maintenance than your Whistler? Optional updates are available, but not mandatory and old rev's will perform much higher than any new Whistler/Cobra..