Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default v1 Reprogramming - Help me fine tune

Hello,

I've been happily using my v1 in Miami, FL for the past few months, but I was getting extremely annoyed by all of the false X and K band readings that I did some reprogramming... I was hoping someone could answer a few questions and help me out.

Everything is at default factory settings except the following:

1. X band is OFF (cops don't use X-band in South Florida from what I've heard, but every freaking shopping center DOES)

5. Ka more responsive is ON (should I leave this at Normal or is more responsive any better?)

7. Features b thru G ENABLED

bCd. Set to 10 seconds automatic muting

E. Stay muted at four lights is ON

-------------------

Ok... here are my questions

Question 1: I drove by Walmart to test the muting and it started beeping at normal volume with only 3 lights lit up after the 10 seconds elapsed. Is it possible to have it always be muted even after a ton of time has elapsed as long as the signal hasn't gotten too strong?

Question 2: If I go past 4 lights and it beeps at regular volume, will it go back to muted mode if the signal strength drops below 3 lights before the mute time elapses?

Question 3: Should I be running in little-l mode or big-L mode? How will being in either mode affect my K band alerts depending on settings b-G?

Question 4: Will option 8 (Supress sound completely when I press mute) also affect the volume of additional bogey locks? I'd hate to mute a known false K and then have a real police K signal show up and that stay muted because I totally muted the false.

Question 5: How does signal strength work in relation to distance? i.e. 1 dot = 1000 feet away, 2 dots = 900 feet away, etc...? If I knew what 4 dots and 6 dots meant, then I could determine which should be my threshold for bypassing automute.

Question 6: Do any of you drive in South Florida or another city with no X-band threats but a high level of K false alerts? How is your programming setup to minimize false alerts and annoyances without missing a potentially real K threat?

Thank you *VERY* much for any answers to any of these questions!!!

Radar Fanatic

1) No, 30 seconds is the maximum for the front antenna that is what I use.
    (G) rear K band antenna mute has an unlimited mute time this is excellent for alert time break through.
    2) No, you have to loose the signal for ten seconds for a reset or turn off/on
    3) little l is lights with muted volume, big L is no lights or sound for the time threshold. Just like how X band works.
    4) Yes, then don't use 8 and don't use advanced logic mode.
    5) I don't know the distance but I figure that you are being clocked about the time V1 melts into a full tone. Just bypass automute when you think that you are in a hot zone.
    (6) Yes, we are swamped with drones but fortunately the highway patrol only use Ka if they use anything at all. We are very lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by V1 Dave
    (G) rear K band antenna mute has an unlimited mute time this is excellent for alert time break through.
    Yes but is it an automatic mute isn't it? Will the Signal Strength override function (G) and give me a rear alert if I get zapped from behind by a legitimate K radar signal that is close enough? ... or will I be completely helpless from behind?

3) little l is lights with muted volume, big L is no lights or sound for the time threshold. Just like how X band works.
    OK - but one big L once the signal strength passes 4 or 6 (whichever is set) will it override and beep at me?

5) I don't know the distance but I figure that you are being clocked about the time V1 melts into a full tone. Just bypass automute when you think that you are in a hot zone.
    Bypass automute? Are you talking about reprogramming the v1 on the fly or is there a trick to do this that I'm not aware of?

(6) Yes, we are swamped with drones but fortunately the highway patrol only use Ka if they use anything at all. We are very lucky.
    Yeah no kidding... unfortunately I do most of my driving off the highway. I think the fact that I've only had maybe 2 or 3 legitimate bogeys in the 2-3 months I've had the v1 has given me a false sense of security. Going to have to find myself some speed traps to test it in.

Oh... two more question: Does "A" (All Bogeys Mode) override all of the programming modifications and alert me to everything at the default setting? and Is option "5" (Ka more responsive) recommended on or off?

Thanks!!!

Professional

I too live in South Florida. Don't be fooled! Some FHP and MANY BSO, PBSO, and MCSO, as well as FDLE still use K Band. I know because I drive over 100 miles per day, Every day.
    I encountered a FHP a few months ago on the turnpike around the Palm Beach / Martin County Line who had Instant on K Band! Couldn't believe it, I was convinced all FHP converted to Ka.

Lead Foot

Oh... two more question: Does "A" (All Bogeys Mode) override all of the programming modifications and alert me to everything at the default setting? and Is option "5" (Ka more responsive) recommended on or off?

On "A" mode it will not OVERRIDE what you have PROGRAMMED. IF X IS OFF it WILL STILL be OFF on "A"

On the Ka more responsiveness I would say it is a matter of taste??

Professional

I would say the Ka "more responsive" mode is for people who frequently drive more that 10mph over the limit. It's designed to ALARM you and quickly react. I don't use it because I'm usually within 5-10 over.

Quote Originally Posted by Buz
    I too live in South Florida. Don't be fooled!
    Hah... don't worry, not fooled here. I haven't gotten any false Ka's yet, and I did get 1 or 2 real K's and 3 confirmed K's from those "Your Speed:" machines. Just want to minimize my false alarms so that I don't take the v1 less seriously when I get a K. It was such BS with the X that I just ignored it completely and was super happy when I learned I could disable it.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey
    On "A" mode it will not OVERRIDE what you have PROGRAMMED. IF X IS OFF it WILL STILL be OFF on "A"

On the Ka more responsiveness I would say it is a matter of taste??
    Thanks! I think I'll leave more responsive Ka on. The worst it can do is get me to slow down faster to a legitimate Ka alert.

Quote Originally Posted by Buz
    I would say the Ka "more responsive" mode is for people who frequently drive more that 10mph over the limit. It's designed to ALARM you and quickly react. I don't use it because I'm usually within 5-10 over.
    In that case I definitely need it....

I live in Miami. I have X turned off and everything else set to default. I just live with the falses.

Professional

Samurai,
    That is the way I have had my V1 for years, but recently I programmed it to mute K until 4 LED's. It really keeps my hand from jumping up to the mute buttom all the time. You still see the arrow light up, and if you're not in a known false zone, you tend to pay attention even though it's muted.

It's slightly risky, but much quieter.