Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First RD Install Pics+Questions

Ok just received V1.... installed it but not hardwired as I have a few questions.

Do people normally use the hardwire kit that comes with the V1? I'm hesitant to pierce an existing wire in my car, as I'm not sure which one to use, and I'm wondering if this could have a negative effect on whatever that wire is running in addition to the V1. Do most people use an add-a-circuit kit that plugs into the fuse panel?

I used the visor mount, and as you can see in the pics, I had to stick a piece of foam above the visor to keep it level. Not a big deal, but probably not my permanent solution. I tried sticking it to the windshield, but it was super visible from the outside, whereas on the visor you really have to be looking for it.

I hid the wire even though its not hardwired yet. Just tucked it in across the top of the windshield and down the pillar. I took out the side panel as you can see in the pic to run it behind there, and there was a space between two panels where I could tuck it in above the glove box. The cord was just barely long enough for what I wanted to do, which was nice because I didn't have to figure out what to do with the extra wire.

I have a concealed display, and I'm still considering what I want to do with it. I might strip it down and mount it in the instrument cluster, although if I do that I would want to put a mute button elsewhere. I'm also considering trying to change the LEDs so that different bands are different colors- I know a few people can do this.

All in all very happy so far... time to take a drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Professional

Default Re: First RD Install Pics+Questions

It looks like your existing job is very well done. Unless you want to free up your cigarette lighter adapter, I think its pretty good the way it is! But I would hardwire it just for kicks. Haahaha.

I don't really think a kill-switch or mute-button would be necessary as I would just use the volume knob on the main unit itself.

Kill switch alternative--switch V1 off
    Mute alternative--mute V1 using volume knob

You can get an add-a-circuit from any auto-parts store. The crimp-on connector provided by V1 is "alright", but if you can afford the time and tools to solder a proper connection, do it. It'll pay off in the long run. My RX65 had weird voltage/power issues (randomly restarting for no reason) which I SUSPECT was due to the crimp-on connector losing "grip" after 2 years or so.

Also, put a tint strip across the top of your windshield, darkest possible. It makes it harder to see the silhouette from any eyes behind you at driver-level. Using a sharpie to color the suction cups also helps.

As for the concealed display, you could place it in the instrument panel but its largely a matter of personal preference. I would place it where its not TOO far from your view of the road. I don't think different color LEDs are needed as you would get used to the visual and audio alerts. Languy99 does the LED mods. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by chriskohtc; 07-20-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Newcomer

^ Add a circuit works.
    Or if you have an empty fuse spot that works you can simply tap into those. (That is how I did my last install). It worked well for several years, until I sold that vehicle.

Thanks guys! I just went out and picked up an add a circuit, so I'll be hardwiring tomorrow.

I have a lot of empty fuse slots in my car that are unexplained in the manual... can I just plug into one of those? If not, I have a few empty ones that are explained such as the sunroof slot which is unoccupied since I don't have a sunroof.

I only did about 30 mins of driving, but it was enough to make me realize that I want the concealed display right in front of me. Having to glance to the side every time the V1 chirped was a little annoying, especially for a n00b like me. I was trying to figure out what was going on with it as I was driving past shopping centers and it would lock on to 3 or 4 signals. Since it was dark, and I'm not familiar with the tones or the placement of the LEDs, I had a little trouble telling what band radar I was detecting since I couldn't get a good long look at the display. I don't expect that to be a problem for long of course, but I think I will mount the concealed display in the instrument cluster, or on the dash by the left pillar.

Radar Fanatic

I thought that you would put the add-a-circuit to your radio fuse.

Radar Fanatic

btw, it look awesome and I bet that you can't wait to go out hunting for those K,and Ka bands. I want one of those V1 to but I can't get one now.

Quote Originally Posted by spartcus View Post
    Unfortunately I have two fuse panels, one is under the hood, and that is where the radio fuse is. I've never routed any wiring from the engine compartment to the interior, and for now I'd like to avoid that if there is an easier way.

...and thanks, I really do want to go on a long car trip now and come back with some sick save stories. hmmmm maybe this weekend....

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by toenails View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spartcus View Post
    Unfortunately I have two fuse panels, one is under the hood, and that is where the radio fuse is. I've never routed any wiring from the engine compartment to the interior, and for now I'd like to avoid that if there is an easier way.

...and thanks, I really do want to go on a long car trip now and come back with some sick save stories. hmmmm maybe this weekend....

Yeah, I know what you mean. I guess that you can put it on any one that is less that 12ohms but don't quote me. I look at radar roy install one on his truck and I think that that is what he said. Maybe somebody will come on the sticky that know.

NO SWITCHED FUSES?!?!

Bought an add-a-fuse kit and tried to hardwire my v1... NONE of the large fuses in my interior fuse box were switched. I even tried ones for things that you can't turn on while the car is off like the 12 volt socket and the heated seats... no dice.

Am I stuck with manually turning the V1 on and off whenever I drive? I don't mind doing this except that I'm afraid I'll forget to turn it off and kill my battery. Help please!

EDIT: I think I found an answer... should have googled around before posting. Looks like the mini fuses at the top of the box are switched; I'll have to by a mini add a fuse, oh well.
    Last edited by toenails; 07-21-2010 at 05:30 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by toenails View Post
    NO SWITCHED FUSES?!?!

Bought an add-a-fuse kit and tried to hardwire my v1... NONE of the large fuses in my interior fuse box were switched. I even tried ones for things that you can't turn on while the car is off like the 12 volt socket and the heated seats... no dice.

Am I stuck with manually turning the V1 on and off whenever I drive? I don't mind doing this except that I'm afraid I'll forget to turn it off and kill my battery. Help please!

EDIT: I think I found an answer... should have googled around before posting. Looks like the mini fuses at the top of the box are switched; I'll have to by a mini add a fuse, oh well.

Good deal, I know that it had to be one or the other. Lets see some pics when you get it done.