Newcomer

Default false Ka from a Cal-Trans dumptruck?!

Weekend before last, a CalTrans dumptruck...with a snowplow on the front, was trundling along the median where some contruction was underway, and I'll be damned, but it had some sort of rearward-facing Ka band emmitters. Surprised me, as we'd just been booking along nicely, though the dudes in the new S-class AMG and 5-series BMW were a good 3/8 of a mile ahead of me, so no worries. My wife's '02 AWD RX300 has a govenor @ 110, FWIW. Probably as fast as you'd want to travel in that machine, if not because of handling issues (or lack thereof), because of massive fuel ingestion. However, it is remarkably quiet, especially given it's frontal area.

Is this some kinda backup warning device which is always 'on'?

Lead Foot

Default Re: false Ka from a Cal-Trans dumptruck?!

Quote Originally Posted by mckellyb
    Weekend before last, a CalTrans dumptruck...with a snowplow on the front, was trundling along the median where some contruction was underway, and I'll be damned, but it had some sort of rearward-facing Ka band emmitters. Surprised me, as we'd just been booking along nicely, though the dudes in the new S-class AMG and 5-series BMW were a good 3/8 of a mile ahead of me, so no worries. My wife's '02 AWD RX300 has a govenor @ 110, FWIW. Probably as fast as you'd want to travel in that machine, if not because of handling issues (or lack thereof), because of massive fuel ingestion. However, it is remarkably quiet, especially given it's frontal area.

Is this some kinda backup warning device which is always 'on'?
    Had the same experience here in Europe on a snowplow. This one gave me a K-band alert. I think it is related to the GRITTING mechanism on the back of the truck. If a car is very close to it it stops, so it wont throw sand and salt all over the car that is close behind. I have not been aware of this on the same make of truck that is not fitted with the GRITTING thingy.