I work in sales and put on 35000 miles a year. I also live in ohio, where the most common threats are X (yes, the highway patrol re-fitted newer patrol cars with their old x-band equipment), K, and laser (HUGE presence in ohio). Some newer municipalities use Ka equipment, however mostly what I want to detect is X and K. I dont worry much about detecting laser because if you are had, you are had. Instead, I pay attention on the road and scan usual highway patrol spots. Many times, I hit the brakes about a second before a laser alert..... Im driving a 2010 chevrolet silverado. w/ the radar laser detector mounted high - next to the rearview mirror.
Based on that above synopsis, I knew going into this that updating my v1.7 valentine to their latest-and-greatest wouldnt be a night and day improvement. However, I still wanted the best out there.
The paperwork valentine one sent me said they upgraded me to a v1.8 ? which causes me some confusion because, according to website, the latest and greatest is v3.872. Is that number a hardware update, and the v3.872 a software update? The serial number's last 4 digits are 1041.... I tried following the procedures to check software version, but doing so did not yield a result (I must have missed something).
Anyways, Ive had my new valentine one for a week and heres what I notice:
What I like:
1. indicators for each band - which light up simultaneously in case of multiple band bogeys, my old model just had a decimal point where the greatest threat (in case of multiple alerts) dictated what decimal point behavior would be present.
2. smaller, thinner unit size
3. the same radar performance (X and K, not enough experience yet with Ka)
What I dont like:
1. still get laser false alerts from certain vehicle brake lights. I thought those had been eliminated.
2. even though I heard the laser warning was improved tremendously over my old model, I STILL dont always get alerts when I pass by a cop using laser. Today I purposely changed lanes into the line-of-sight of a cop, who had his window down and a laser unit in his hand. I got nothing.
3. arrows still arent always accurate (just like before). I had a highway patrol open up on me I/O with K band, coming at me from the other side of the highway, and the arrow pointed rearward when the threat was clearly in front. This was in a rural area free of false alarms.
Anyways, does this all sound right? If anyone could give me any tips on how to check software version, Id appreciate it. I want to make sure it says v3.872.
I'll try to add to this as I get more miles under my belt with the latest and greatest from valentine one!