Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default KA false guard used in conjunction with EURO mode

Hello

I set my V1 on euro mode. And i have turned off my KA false guard. Sometimes on the road or highway i still get an occasional false KA alert which scares the heck out of me and causes me to brake.

If i were to re-enable it, do you think my warning distance on narrow band KA would be reduced? For me, every second counts since you only get about 10 seconds warning against multanovas.

I know for non-euro models, disabling the KA false guard would increase the warning time slightly, but how about for the EURO models?

Thanks

Professional

44 view on this thread and not a single reply?

anywayz..... i emailed valentine and Mr. Pete replied:
    I'm still reluctant to believe that it won't make any difference, i think the difference must be there but rather small......

Dear Sir:

Thanks for your email. No, this does not affect any range at all, on either Ka or any other bands.

Cordially,

Pete Kaufman
    Sales Department

Radar Fanatic

thats good information, i was wondering if that decreased the sensitivity and thought about disabling it since i sometimes get ka alerts from leo when i already see them (i was wondering if the false guard effected it)

Professional

From my understanding, that option only made the V1 ramp up the alert quicker, not detect the signal quicker.

That is, it would go to full alert quicker than with Ka Guard on. At least that is my understanding of it.

Perhaps EURO mode already disables Ka Guard anyway, so whether you set it on/off it won't make a difference?

Time for some testing

Professional

No no, ur talking about Increased reporting. That's a different function to the KA false guard.

Radar Fanatic

With the false alarm guard off, V1 will have a faster response time. I think shooter2jim tested that.

GTO_04

Professional

Ok i testd this thing out.

I turned on KA false guard, and i still get false alerts when there's a car nearby with a "lesser" detector. So, i might as well leave it on if it might give me extra warning time.

I can't notice any considerable difference in detection range with it turned on or off.

There was a decked up corolla near me today on the highway, and it had a RMR on the windshield, at a 45 degree angle to the sky! When it was behind my my V1 would alert KA with the back arrow, and when he went ahead of me, the arrow would go front, it kept beeping intermitently. I got the chance to test turning on and off the KA false guard while i was still near this guy, and it didn't make a difference.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Dilip
    Ok i testd this thing out.

I turned on KA false guard, and i still get false alerts when there's a car nearby with a "lesser" detector. So, i might as well leave it on if it might give me extra warning time.

I can't notice any considerable difference in detection range with it turned on or off.

There was a decked up corolla near me today on the highway, and it had a RMR on the windshield, at a 45 degree angle to the sky! When it was behind my my V1 would alert KA with the back arrow, and when he went ahead of me, the arrow would go front, it kept beeping intermitently. I got the chance to test turning on and off the KA false guard while i was still near this guy, and it didn't make a difference.
    So the RMR actually does something although that something is not constructive.

Turning off the Ka false alarm guard will increase range a lot if the Ka transmitter is off frequency. I have one of those radar testers that transmit very weak X, K, and Ka band signals. The Ka band transmitter is very weak, and uses a harmonic of the X band transmitter. The manual that came with it said that many RDs will not pick up the Ka tester. In fact the BELs I tried would not even pick up the tester on Ka band. With the false alarm guard off, V1 would pick it up as a full scale warning 1/4 mile away. So I don't know how it would affect reception of your speed cameras. It really depends on the frequency. On normal police radar Ka band I do not notice a difference in range.

My favorite trick to play on BEL owners is to do a radar range test outdoors. I stand about 10 feet away and turn the Ka transmitter on, and the BEL is silent. Then I let the new BEL owner hold the V1 (with the false alarm guard turned off). I start at 10 ft., and keep walking away as the V1 is alerting at full strength. They are both amazed at the range of the V1 and discouraged by the inability of the BEL to pick up the Ka transmitter. I tell them not to worry about it, that the BEL will probably work better on a real Ka band radar.

GTO_04

Advanced Member

Question: I've seen the Target testers like Roy had (K, Ka, Laser) but I haven't seen one with X,K,Ka. Do you have a picture or more info on them?

The reason that the V1 wouldn't alert to the tester with the false alert guard on, is that it also saw the second and/or third harmonic (~11.xx GHz, 22.xx GHz) , so it suppressed the alert as an LO from a junk detector. Turning off the false alert guard turns of the "harmonic filtering" allowing it to alert anyway.

But that's pretty funny trick to play on the Belscort owners

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Question: I've seen the Target testers like Roy had (K, Ka, Laser) but I haven't seen one with X,K,Ka. Do you have a picture or more info on them?

The reason that the V1 wouldn't alert to the tester with the false alert guard on, is that it also saw the second and/or third harmonic (~11.xx GHz, 22.xx GHz) , so it suppressed the alert as an LO from a junk detector. Turning off the false alert guard turns of the "harmonic filtering" allowing it to alert anyway.

But that's pretty funny trick to play on the Belscort owners
    I'll try to get a picture of it. Now if I can just remember where I bought the thing LOL! It is not like the one Roy had. Mine does not have laser.

And your explanation of the false alert guard is exactly what I was thinking.

GTO_04