Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Lead Foot

Default Re: Dallas Police Buying Valentine Ones

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
    I'll be honest.. I think working traffic would be kinda fun...
    There is actually a lot to be said for working traffic, especially in a large metro department. Lots of positives.

1. A lot safer than patrol, violence wise. Makes your family a lot happier knowing you're not going on domestics anymore.

2. A lot safer, politically speaking. You make almost no judgement calls, so very little risk of making a wrong one and getting written up for it. You can basically lay low in the traffic division and ride out your time under the radar (no pun intended) til retirement without much risk of ending up in court or in the news, or otherwise on anyone's shytlist.

3. Freedom to pretty well set your own schedule on-duty. You're not answering radio calls. Just deciding where you want to hang out for the next few hours. Take your lunch when you want to, and not have to wait til more units are in service, or getting called out.

4. No supervisor breathing down your neck.

5. A cool motorcycle, if that's your thing.

6. Quotas, performance goals, or whatever you want to call them, are über simple to achieve. The only people who don't are those who are either sleeping somewhere, or screwing off at home or their mistress' house while on the clock. You certainly don't have to work your arse off to meet that minimum goal. And anyone who doesn't isn't worth my tax dollars anyhow.
    Yeah that sounds like alot of fun to be honest...
    Except for those once-in-a-while crazy people who give cops a hard time during traffic stops... like cursing, or not cooperating, hiding stuff, yelling, being rude etc. I would really hate to have to go through all that.
    Nassau County Sheriff's department in NY (part of Long Island) pays it's officers a good amount as well. I heard so many NYPD transfer over there just for the salary alone, and they arent shy to admit that either haha.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky225 View Post
    becaues the they will learn all our counter measures, learn from their mistakes, and then improve THEIR tactics and use them against us. isnt that how all the Instant On crap came to be?
    No, it came to be in the 80s, after studies suggested that constant-on was a health hazard to the officers, and they began to use it more judiciously.

And no, cops aren't cops any more than any other group is completely homogenous. Stereotype much? The last thing that I or most other non-highway patrol cops care about is working traffic. And this is Texas. They all already know about IO. It's the normal way radar is used here. The only thing he didn't know was how to interpret it on a V1.

And no, the badge thing does not always work to get you out of a ticket, especially in Texas. Not to mention that it is a lot better to avoid getting stopped in the first place, rather than just hope that your badge works. Getting stopped is a FAIL, ticket or no ticket.
    Hey I'm just going by what every single one of my cop friends and their relatives have told me... hell I even know a cousin of someone who's father's someone is in the FBI and that cousin gets away with tickets because he flashes some FBI card. My friend's gf's brother's gf's father works for the state police and she has some card that she flashes and she gets away with tickets too... and so does her bf (who's my friend). She's not even related to the agent, she probably doesnt even know him... but just because she has that card. I know FBI is not police, but still is an example of how flashing a card gets ppl I knowout of tickets. I know and have many more stories of people I know that got stopped and just flashed a card and got away. In my opinion, getting stopped and NOT getting a ticket is a huge win... not getting stopped is just not getting stopped. Getting stopped AND ticketed just sucks big time. Sometimes they still get ticketed, but somehow it just disappears and the charges never appear and they never have to pay. It's just ridiculous.
    Hrmm.. I have an FBI friend and his business card..
    Robert Steele does not count

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by valentine1fan View Post
    We are beginning to ask LEOs to voluntarily register with the RadarActive system to report their current and planned locations/times. So far the response is overwhelming!
    Yeah....and then they'll flood your system with false locations.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by hiddencam View Post
    We are beginning to ask LEOs to voluntarily register with the RadarActive system to report their current and planned locations/times. So far the response is overwhelming!
    i hate how on trapster, its totally flooded with "known enforcement points" which is good and all, but for me, a "live police" alert is more useful. pretty much every mile or several, there is a "known enforcement point" alert that i get which gets annoying as hell!!

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by hiddencam View Post
    i hate how on trapster, its totally flooded with "known enforcement points" which is good and all, but for me, a "live police" alert is more useful. pretty much every mile or several, there is a "known enforcement point" alert that i get which gets annoying as hell!!
    Live police alert is certainly more useful, especially if it comes from a real radar detector, and confirmed valid (by the radar detector user or by the trained algorithm)

(the LEO registration was just a joke, btw... although...)

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by swarga View Post
    Yep, it's official! My best friend got completely sold on the V1 during our recent Grand Canyon trip. By the time he left the next week with his family for Colorado, he was travelling with the arrows! He reports multiple DPS I/O saves already, and even his wife loves it!
    I thought cops were immune from tickets due to "professional courtesy?"

Actually, I know better. My brother used to be a Chicago cop (he's now a Federal agent). He told me there is a "war" between IL and WI cops; If an IL cop catches a WI cop, the Wi cop is guaranteed a ticket and vice-versa.
    In the US military in Germany, there was the occasional "Wink wink nod nod" between the MI guys and the CID guys. Not on big stuff mind you but on some other little stuff.