Experienced

Default any way to distinguish between safety signs K alert and real K band threats?

I saw somewhere (I think a Cobra manual) that K band from safety alert (ie. road construction sign) was a very slightly different frequency than a real K threat. (I think down to the .005 Ghz increment)

Does that mean that some radar detectors can distinguish between it ?

Im assuming the V1 cannot...correct me if Im wrong?

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: any way to distinguish between safety signs K alert and real K band threats?

Watch the ramp up, if it gets to 1/2 instantly (but not full), it's usually a safety alert or a traffic monitor.

If it's gradually building up, might be a real bogey.

It's tough to tell with the K-band since it's used more often. Sometimes an instant full blast could be a fake or a real threat.

To counter that,

If you drive the same routes, learn where all the false alerts occur and watch your bogey counter very carefully.

For example:

You know the intersection of Main Street and A Street has a 2 bogey false K-band alert.

Next time you drive there, if the bogey counter is 3 or higher, most likely there's a trap. This system worked for me when I was traveling in a rich K-band zone.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Default Re: any way to distinguish between safety signs K alert and real K band threats?

Quote Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post
    I saw somewhere (I think a Cobra manual) that K band from safety alert (ie. road construction sign) was a very slightly different frequency than a real K threat. (I think down to the .005 Ghz increment)
    Eh, not really. K band is pretty narrow and it's not uncommon for the same radar source to drift around in its tuning. It's not as safe to ignore a K false by frequency as it is for Ka band, which is wider and has three frequencies the radar manufacturers tune to so if something is wildly different it's probably a false.

As far as I know, there's no RD that rejects K-band signals solely on frequency. They might have filtering modes that can ignore groups of signals that are likely to be door openers, but that's different.

There are detectors that can be programmed to ignore segments of the Ka band, but like I said that's much wider so it's easier to tell what's likely to be real.

Power User

I never encountered a real K band threat, but here's some vids with the speed sign ramp ups

snoopyc4

Quote Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post
    I saw somewhere (I think a Cobra manual) that K band from safety alert (ie. road construction sign) was a very slightly different frequency than a real K threat.
    LOL, Cobra also claims that their RDs provide 360 degree laser protection. Cobra manuals are as believable as someone saying pigs fly.

The answer to your question though is no. A V1 cannot distinguish a K band speed sign from a real LEO running K band.

K band speed sign:

Real Threat:

Last edited by snoopyc4; 08-17-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Professional

Did your 3.813 double ghost on the k band speed sign?

snoopyc4

Quote Originally Posted by mikered30 View Post
    Did your 3.813 double ghost on the k band speed sign?
    Yes.

Professional

Speed signs typically use the same radar antennas found in LEO radar units. So while there may be minor variations in exact frequency due to manufacturing tolerances, they're designed to be centered around the same frequency as actual traffic radar.

SWS does use a different frequency 24.100 GHz, which has enough overlap with LEO radar that detectors that lack SWS capability (V1 for instance) will show it as a K band alert. Recall that LEO radar is either at 24.150 or 24.125 GHz, with a 100 MHz bandwidth. So as far as a detector is concerned, it is a legitimate K band threat. Unfortunately some idiot thought it would be a great idea to center door openers within the bandwidth of traffic radar as well, so detectors are unable to filter these out without possibly filtering a legitimate LEO threat.

Radar Fanatic

This one reason some of us run dual RD. Arrows and frequency.