Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Power User

Default Re: V1 Concealed Display mounted in Cheetah mirror

Do you have any more pics with the mirror taken apart and the display put in?

Professional

I want to install a kill switch in my forster and has the same style blanks on the side what did you use to drill the hole? I have a good idea what to do but I just haven't tried yet and since you have I was wondering if you could give some input!

Install is awsome and I do agree that I like the CD lower but to each there own!

Newcomer

Nice work! Post some more pics about the dissection of the mirror.

Speed Demon

That's a brilliant mod to the Cheetah GPS Mirror, and I suggest you draw Ally's attention to it in the Cheetah section as well, or by PM.

Right now my V1 hangs below my GPS Mirror, and I couldn't get it down in time on Sunday when I got pulled over. (Jammer was out for servicing).

I'm inspired by this mod! I'd like to try it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by focalcivic View Post
    Do you have any more pics with the mirror taken apart and the display put in?
    sorry, not at this time. i will likely do the color mod and take more pics, and i am also deliberating on moving the display to the left side of the mirror. the mirror is so large, i don't think it would affect visibility. curious what everyone else thinks??

Quote Originally Posted by gilberto814 View Post
    I want to install a kill switch in my forster and has the same style blanks on the side what did you use to drill the hole? I have a good idea what to do but I just haven't tried yet and since you have I was wondering if you could give some input!

Install is awsome and I do agree that I like the CD lower but to each there own!
    i just used the largest drill bit in my case and power drill, and it still wasnt large enough, as is evident by the irregular shape. the plastic is pretty soft, so i was able to just bore it out a bit. whatever button you buy usually tells you what size bit to use. even if its slightly off or rough, the bezel on the button covers up the irregularities.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc What, son? View Post
    That's a brilliant mod to the Cheetah GPS Mirror, and I suggest you draw Ally's attention to it in the Cheetah section as well, or by PM.

Right now my V1 hangs below my GPS Mirror, and I couldn't get it down in time on Sunday when I got pulled over. (Jammer was out for servicing).

I'm inspired by this mod! I'd like to try it myself.
    thanks for the feedback! adding to the mirror is very simple. modding the phone jack on the display itself was the only somewhat difficult part, only because i was worried about pulling the traces off the board. having a hot iron and desoldering braid helps in this regard.

i think i've seen other threads where something like this was suggested to the cheetah team, but they didn't like the idea of having a less stealthy display. there are aftermarket concealed displays that are less obvious in this regard, but sacrifice readability as a result. as i've said, i don't worry about it with my dark rear tints

also, for anyone contemplating this, i should re-emphasize that relocating or eliminating the photocell is a MUST. i will save you some time here and let you know it is useless in the daytime and i didn't bother to wait to see how it was in the night either.

inside the housing it is dark, hence the photocell thinks the surrounding environment is dark and dims the display accordingly. there is no way to manually adjust this.

Speed Demon

it looks ok, but its not Concealed anymore which is why you buy it in the first place, all you did was moved the lights from the left to your mirror to the middle.

Good Citizen

Looks great... a couple of thoughts, the two-way mirrors I have made all have the display converted to color by languy99 so you can easily differentiate the bands, also assuming that is the same Radio Shack switch I have used it needs a 1/2" hole, a drill bit tends to chew up the plastic, get a half inch spade bit and it works great.

dewalt-6-pc-spade-bit-set-dw15.jpg

Power User

Nice work, and it's an excellent fit conceptually with the Cheetah mirror, but I would never use it. I simply don't want to advertise the fact that I have a RD.