Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Founder of Stealthvation

Default Built In the USA!!!

One thing that I am SO surprised that people never talk about is the fact that V1's are built in the USA. I believe that this is the only detector today still built in the USA and I find this VERY impressive. It is AMAZING that VR can compete with others when the competition is built overseas (China, Mexico, etc). To me this keeps jobs in the USA and I commend Mike V. for this!
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Lead Foot

Final assembly, perhaps. The processor is probably made in the Pacific rim as are all the capacitors and probably the PCB(s). Some of the power ICs may be fabbed in the US. Population of the PCB(s) is a multi-step process that may occur in multiple places.

75% of a modern RD is no more sophisticated than a $20 sound card or modem, if you examine the majority of the components. With Valentine, we pay for its IP and the microwave components as well as the case/plug, etc.

Bill

Founder of Stealthvation

Quote Originally Posted by billgerr
    Final assembly, perhaps. The processor is probably made in the Pacific rim as are all the capacitors and probably the PCB(s). Some of the power ICs may be fabbed in the US. Population of the PCB(s) is a multi-step process that may occur in multiple places.

75% of a modern RD is no more sophisticated than a $20 sound card or modem, if you examine the majority of the components.

Bill
    How much do you think a V1 cost VR to make? My guess would be $75
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Lead Foot

That's a tough question as one must place a dollar figure on innovation. VR may spend more in the USA on final assembly and QC as spent on tape-out and/or pick and place wherever the PCBs are populated. The PCB is an active component in most RDs, which was unique for a consumer product 20 years ago but quite common today as PCs run quad-pumped 200 MHz parallel links on their motherboards. These speeds demand careful consideration of board layout and signal integrity.

As the product is mature and its retail is contained, I'd say upwards of $200 could be tolerated per unit.

I haven't opened a V1, but any evidence of rework, e.g. hand soldering or manual wire tracing, is very expensive. A simple trace repair could easily add $20 to the cost of a unit.

Bill

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Built In the USA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by happya$$
    One thing that I am SO surprised that people never talk about is the fact that V1's are built in the USA. I believe that this is the only detector today still built in the USA and I find this VERY impressive. It is AMAZING that VR can compete with others when the competition is built overseas (China, Mexico, etc). To me this keeps jobs in the USA and I commend Mike V. for this!
    Hey what's wrong with Canada eh? Over what sea? :wink:

Lots of various RD's come from China, a few from South Korea, and of course Whistler and their Phillippines plant.

I'd side with billgerr, I am sure the majority of the components hail from all over the place. Particularly the plastics, case, accessories, horns even.

Lead Foot

When I examined the photos provided by BiGeAsYgUy, I concluded that the V1 assembly was robust and expensive. And of course, the case can is quite rugged, too.

Good Citizen

I took my V1 apart, but not the horn assembly.

Lead Foot

Does anyone have any high quality photos like these but of a euro V1?

Good Citizen

Wow! What an old design. Definitely looks like the product of constant improvement on the original design. Looks like a new multi-layered board and more modern chips would reduce the size of the layout immensely.

Board...$5.00
    Chips...$10.00
    Case...??

Still...this is one of the best detectors on the market. Like someone mentioned, you are paying for the R&D and intellectual property in the unit. Without closeups, I suspect that the chip labelled as VR1 is a programmable epromm that contains the intellectual property. If there was a market, this is what the cloners in Asia would be copying e.g. DVD players.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by quandary
    Wow! What an old design. Definitely looks like the product of constant improvement on the original design. Looks like a new multi-layered board and more modern chips would reduce the size of the layout immensely.

Board...$5.00
    Chips...$10.00
    Case...??

Still...this is one of the best detectors on the market. Like someone mentioned, you are paying for the R&D and intellectual property in the unit. Without closeups, I suspect that the chip labelled as VR1 is a programmable epromm that contains the intellectual property. If there was a market, this is what the cloners in Asia would be copying e.g. DVD players.
    Actually its a bit hard to tell but that may be a multi layered board but Im not positive of that. What do you mean more modern chips? It is all surface mount except for a resistor and a cap that were probably a revision of some sort.