Default are old V1 classics or collector items?

Hi, I'm new to this board and am in the process of upgrading my 10 year V1 (original owner) w/ the latest 1.8 ver.

I placed a bunch of posts in the car audio forums that i'm a member of for years. I've been getting my asking price of $150 kinda fast. I picked that price cause it was above V1's upgrade cost.

Is there something going on or it's just people can't afford the $400 + shipping for a new 1?

I've read on epinions of people complaining about falsing. I always have mine on "A" mode and just mute it when I'm by a grocery store's door sensors. I just dicipher between them. Hey before that I had a "top of the line" Kraco!

I'm I right to go ahead and upgrade my unit? I'm in So Cal where radar is crazy!

thanks for your time.

Old Timer

If it is an original, you def want to upgrade. But you will be driving with it in the L mode and not the A. KA sensitivity on the odler V1's are not up to standard.

Advanced Member

Default Re: are old V1 classics or collector items?

People are prettyy crazy when it comes to the V1's. In fact, on Ebay you'll frequently see pre-owned units that sell for more than a new one would cost.

Quote Originally Posted by rcantu
    Is there something going on or it's just people can't afford the $400 + shipping for a new 1?
    Nope, nothing special is going on. You could be right, and people just can't afford to buy a new one. Anyone who has a chance at a deal on one will jump on it. The older versions still have pretty good performance. In many cases, you'll come out ahead selling the old V1 and then buying a new one, rather than upgrading.
    So go ahead and exploit it for all it's worth

I've read on epinions of people complaining about falsing. I always have mine on "A" mode and just mute it when I'm by a grocery store's door sensors.
    I am one of the few people who run it on "A" most of the time too. I do the same, just hit mute when I am by the grocery store. I'm not exactly rural either. But if I drive the main drag through town, then I might use logic or advanced logic.

I'm I right to go ahead and upgrade my unit? I'm in So Cal where radar is crazy!
    Yes, you should definitely upgrade.

Jim

thanks guys. I didn't want to sell it then get upset that I was missing out on something.

Yeah I think I can sell for more but I feel guilty. I definitely got my moneys worth. 10 years NO TIX! Much savings.

thanks again

Radar Fanatic

I was going to retrofit mine but everyone here persuaded me to sell it on e bay.
    I bought a used or out of box unit from VR about a month ago seemed to have a problem with multiple bogies on a single K band signal.
    Once I even got two bogies on a junk detector on the way to work lasted for miles.
    VR has had it a week now and still has not come up with a diagnosis.
    Customer service said that it usually only takes a few days and suggested that they might have even test drove it on the weekend. They either can't find the problem or it is a real puzzler. I too have an old one (that started falsing consistently on laser) I used to rave about how dependable they are and now I have two units in the shop at the same time. (Can't complain to much after 11+ years and taking it apart)
    Can't believe how fast the post office is I mailed first class/priority w/tracking Sat was there Mon. CA to OH
    rcantu, If you don't have at least the 97 retrofit your Ka is really bad.
    If you do decide to retrofit instead of e bay VR policy is if you don't like the new one after 30 days they will send back your old one.

Radar Fanatic

I've seen many old valentines go for almost full retail on ebay. Figure out how much an upgrade costs from valentine. Then decide if you want to try ebay.

If you go the ebay route, describe it fully and completely and include good photos etc... also open things up to international buyers. I've sold old radar detectors to people in germany and england (where they can't buy them legally) for many times retail!!

well I got the new one. It's really nice. lighter and smaller and the front arrow light works. It definitely senses things more than my old one so it will just take some time getting used to. Hopefully I'll have another decade of protection.