Newcomer

Default New Valentine Questions

I have only had my Valentine two weeks and I have a couple of questions.
    The Bogey counter keeps showing a J, what sort of alert is this?

Second question is that I have a 25 minute ride to work from home. When I arrive I want to take my dectector in to work but it is so hot that I have to use a couple of napkins (thank God for Dunkin Donuts!) to handle the unit. Is this normal for a new detector?

Any help appreciated!!

Power User

Default Re: New Valentine Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    I have only had my Valentine two weeks and I have a couple of questions.
    The Bogey counter keeps showing a J, what sort of alert is this?

Second question is that I have a 25 minute ride to work from home. When I arrive I want to take my dectector in to work but it is so hot that I have to use a couple of napkins (thank God for Dunkin Donuts!) to handle the unit. Is this normal for a new detector?

Any help appreciated!!

The J is the junk alert (weeds out false signal's emitted from other detectors) & the v1 shouldn't get that hot just warm!

http://www.valentine1.com/Moreinfo/pdf/POP_pg26.pdf

Radar Fanatic

hehe, it does get hot!

what version do you have?

J is junk, some cheap detectors emit Ka and the V1 is suppose to filter it and J it out.

The thing is, it Junks out real cops sometimes

when it alerted J, was there a cop around?

if not look around for cars with cheap detectors, that could trigger it

Lead Foot

The V1 should get warm to the touch but not hot to the point you cant touch it with your bare hand.

Radar Fanatic

I have had it so hot that I can barely touch it. That's mostly because of the Florida sun, I imagine, since that only happens to me in the summer (New England).

One source of "falsing" (alerting when there is no cop around) is the presence of cheap, poorly-made radar detectors that leak radio waves on the same frequency that some police radar uses. It looks a lot like POP radar (very short bursts) to your V1. Their solution is to let the detector alert to what it sees as a Ka threat until it figures out what it is. If it decides that it is really one of those crappy detectors it will flash "J," make some "dee-dah-doo" noises and stop alerting.

F_399 mentioned that there have been problems with the V1 cancelling-out some real threats with a "J" which is true. However if you have had your V1 for only two weeks you likely have the latest version, which is supposed to have fixed the problem.

Newcomer

Default more info

Just to catch up with some of the replies, I do have the latest version. I bought it the first week of Jan '06

The J that I am getting is pretty much every time the detector starts beeping. I will get the bogey count of 1 or 3 and then it shows J. Today it was a steady J when I was going past an accident with two State Trooper cars. It beeped a Ka indication once or twice then showed a J for about 8 to 10 minutes before the A came back on.

As for the heat, it has been fairly cool here lately and the sun is not causing the problem....the detector is just to hot handle after 20 or 25 minutes...I had our Radio Tech at work plug it into his bench power supply and it heated up on his bench to where you could feel the heat from a couple of inches away.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: more info

It beeped a Ka indication once or twice then showed a J for about 8 to 10 minutes before the A came back on.
    Nevermind. THAT SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING!!

The "J" should be a once-in-a-while thing and you should only see the "J" for a few seconds before it goes away. You should call VR ASAP because there's a good chance something is wrong.

I've driven through the Nevada desert at >100F, parked my car, V1 was sitting in the sun soaking up rays, and it still worked fine. I've also had it in Minnesota in the middle of winter in -40F and it still worked.

Radar Fanatic

Just to catch up with some of the replies, I do have the latest version. I bought it the first week of Jan '06

The J that I am getting is pretty much every time the detector starts beeping. I will get the bogey count of 1 or 3 and then it shows J. Today it was a steady J when I was going past an accident with two State Trooper cars. It beeped a Ka indication once or twice then showed a J for about 8 to 10 minutes before the A came back on.

As for the heat, it has been fairly cool here lately and the sun is not causing the problem....the detector is just to hot handle after 20 or 25 minutes...I had our Radio Tech at work plug it into his bench power supply and it heated up on his bench to where you could feel the heat from a couple of inches away.
    i dunno guys 3 posts? radio tech at work plugging the v1 into a bench power supply? ok i guess so...

well if this is happening with your v1 then you definately need to send it back to VR as this is a major malfuntion and your v1 should not behave this way at all. J alert is only a few seconds and your v1 should not be getting that hot that fast which is obvious now. is it ticking?

Radar Fanatic

I had our Radio Tech at work plug it into his bench power supply and it heated up on his bench to where you could feel the heat from a couple of inches away.
    Heh. What's funny is that I was so distracted by the 8-10 minute J thing that I don't think I even read the second paragraph.

When it is on it will get warm, but not hot. Nominal current is ~300mA or less, and let's say you are operating at a nominal 14V or so.

P=V*I so P = 14V*0.30A = 4.2W

4.2 watts of power should shed about as much heat as an incandescent flashlight bulb. Radiating more-or-less uniformly from the magnesium case it will be slightly warm to the touch but there is NO WAY that it should shed enough of its own heat to be felt from several inches away. Something has toasted.

If you call VR they will have you ship it back, and I'm willing to bet they will end up sending you a new one once they see what yours is doing.