Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Professional

Default Re: on it's way back

Well, I got it back. Put it in the car this morning! I am not absolutely certain, but it almost seems as if it's not quite as sensitive as before. Not sure yet. But I work at a hospital and normally I pick up X and K falses about 4 blocks out and now I don't pick it up until I'm right in the parking lot next to the building. I don't know... Maybe I'm just paranoid and it's actually working now as it should. I do the K-band auto mute, but I run it in "little L" mode in town, so I should still get an alert, albeit at muted volume. Just seems as though I remember it being a little more sensitive. Last time I sent it in for a tune, it came back a WHOLE LOT more sensitive than when I sent it in. Just seems less so this time. Guess I'll run with it a while and see what happens...

Going to MI at Thanksgiving, don't need any interstate surprises

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Arvetus View Post
    Well, I got it back. Put it in the car this morning! I am not absolutely certain, but it almost seems as if it's not quite as sensitive as before. Not sure yet. But I work at a hospital and normally I pick up X and K falses about 4 blocks out and now I don't pick it up until I'm right in the parking lot next to the building. I don't know... Maybe I'm just paranoid and it's actually working now as it should. I do the K-band auto mute, but I run it in "little L" mode in town, so I should still get an alert, albeit at muted volume. Just seems as though I remember it being a little more sensitive. Last time I sent it in for a tune, it came back a WHOLE LOT more sensitive than when I sent it in. Just seems less so this time. Guess I'll run with it a while and see what happens...

congrads on getting yours back i sent mine in last wed...still waiting....why'd i have to pay with a check

Power User

Glad you got it back.

Tuning up a V1 every 2 years is fine.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by that guy View Post

congrads on getting yours back i sent mine in last wed...still waiting....why'd i have to pay with a check
    Did you buy it new or used?

GTO_04

Professional

New in 2004. Tuned in 2008 and just had the second tune done. It just seemed way more sensitive before I sent it in than it does now. They said they replaced a diode. Wonder of that did something to one of the amplifier stages? But I would think a tune would have caught that... Hmmmmmmm....

Areas I used to get false alarms 4 blocks out I have to get right next to the building to get an alert...

Professional

remember radar is affected by temperature humidity season etc
    I notice certain falses I pick up sooner during different times of the year and even sometimes different times of the day.
    also some automatic doors sensitivity can be adjusted which may adjust their radar output I'm not sure.

Professional

Yeah, I'm going to run with it for a few days and see what I come up with... I will admit, after looking at the GOL tests, I'm half tempted to finally upgrade to 3.872 from 3.813

Power User

Yeah, I'm going to run with it for a few days and see what I come up with... I will admit, after looking at the GOL tests, I'm half tempted to finally upgrade to 3.872 from 3.813
    Let us know how it turns out after a few days of testing your V1. This way we can capture this data. I have been holding out myself upgrading from my version (3.864) to the latest and greatest 3.872 I guess in the belief that the V1 folks are going to give us something newer here in the near future. I might be holding my breath for while I guess LOL.

I was curious though when the GOL folks tested the 3.872 Version they had KA guard off and the other V1's set w/KA guard on?
    To be fair maybe that question was answered, but I never heard it.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Akosikojak View Post
    Let us know how it turns out after a few days of testing your V1. This way we can capture this data. I have been holding out myself upgrading from my version (3.864) to the latest and greatest 3.872 I guess in the belief that the V1 folks are going to give us something newer here in the near future. I might be holding my breath for while I guess LOL.

I was curious though when the GOL folks tested the 3.872 Version they had KA guard off and the other V1's set w/KA guard on?
    To be fair maybe that question was answered, but I never heard it.
    It was a mistake, Ka Guard was supposed to be on for all the V1s but someone forgot.

Professional

well, so far today, I'm highly disappointed. Ka seems to be working fairly ok as I did get a couple hits from TX DPS, but I get absolutely nothing on K and X, except on the rear antenna.

I found some parked cruisers running K and picked up a faint hit of it as I approached. As I passed, it went full on K to the rear. So I turned around, thinking that the way the car was parked, it was shooting the other way, but K was still very faint in the front and full on in the rear. So I don't know.
    And like I said, I used to false all the time when I approached the hospital where I work about 4 blocks out and now I get absolutely nothing unless I'm right in the parking lot facing the doors, and even then it's a very faint hit. Turn the detector around and pick it up off the rear it goes up to maybe half scale.
    This is not acceptable!! I did speak with V1 service this afternoon and they welcomed the idea of sending it back in, so that's what I'ma do...probably Monday.

I'm not too concerned about X radar in Texas, and rarely run into it unless someone in the neighborhood has their house alarm activated at night, but I do have the very stark possibility of running into valid X radar in a couple states between here and my Michigan destination.

I'm not sure what would have happened to change it; it was extremely chatty before, and now, it's as quiet as a church mouse. While this is nice when I drive through Houston or Dallas, the V1 being chatty is reassuring because I know it's working. Like I was saying, if they changed an electronic component, which they did, I would think they would put it on the scope and make sure it's aligned properly after the fact. I suppose it could actually be in tune and filtering out all the off-frequency stuff, but I would rather be safe than sorry and have it checked and double checked just because it's not like it was and I'm extremely OCD about that.