Default Decided on my detector, the V1!

I have read a ton of posts about all the detectors, what I came up with was while some people think the V1 is overrated, noone said it wasn't any good (except on falses but i would rather be safe than sorry). This led me to my purchase. I need a great performing detector and the extra 100-150 didn't matter that much to me. I ordered the V1 with the carrying case, and the concealed charger.

Now the question is do I get it hardwired to my car or leave it on the windshield where I can take it off. Remember I live in Cali so I don't want to give these animals any more of a reason to steal something.

Suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

Old Timer

I just mounted it high above my rearview mirror, its really hard to see. V1 comes with a ahrdwaireing kit, but that is for electrical purposes, it wouldnt prevent anyone from stealing your detector..

Radar Fanatic

Hardwiring your detector won't do anything to prevent you from removing it from the car. Just unplug it, take it with you, and don't worry about it. I would recommend it because that big coiled power cord hanging down behind your windshield makes you a sure target for harassment by LEOs.

Speed Demon

I've got mine wired off of the dome light (make sure it's 12V first). It just turn it off and take it down when I park.
    Richard

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by marlinspike
    I've got mine wired off of the dome light (make sure it's 12V first). It just turn it off and take it down when I park.
    Richard
    Congratulations, you made the right choice! hheheh

no seriously, you won't regret it. If you run in big L mode, you won't see significantly more or less falsing than on an x50

Professional

excellent choice.... welcome to the major leagues.

Cheetah Rep

I suppose that depends on where you hang the V1. if you have it at the top of the windshield, i say hardwire, so you don't have the obvious coil cord hanging down when you're driving. if you have it low, maybe the coiled would be less noticeable. The key is to not advertise it while you're driving, if at all possible.
    Either way, as long as you take it down when you're not in the car you should be fine. when i lived in cali i never had a problem. as long as the hardwire cord isn't hanging down past the rear view mirror, you should be fine. depending on the type of vehicle, if you hardwire, you can tuck the cord up along the headliner, so there is no trace of anything when you're not in the vehicle.