Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The fixed 3.872

Advanced Member

Default The fixed 3.872

Yelp, after an over the hill Ka alarm starting out with a 3 LED indication, the 364 day old V1 got shipped for a check up. Returned on thursday, and testing it by 3 days of travel, I noticed something. The repaired V1 has settled down from its wild alerts after getting burned in some. I'm still scratching my a$$ trying to figure what has happened around me after the first hour. Questionable laser alert. The arrows did not work right. Found a new K band motion sensor. Unreal local 35.5 off axis alarm 1/3 mile away with a max of 2LEDs when passed the Leo at Walley World. Rear hit with Ka, not sure from where or what. Wow, I thought I understood a V1 since '94. Well, I did get a short distance off axis C/O K around a wooded area yesterday and got hit also in MS with I/O K, a Trooper fishing. It ought to be against the law for a Leo to just to tun on the radar just to see what kind of reading he can get out of the fastest speed display without seeing a speeder first. Well, the V1 is heading to the top of the South East (Smokies) for more action! But not as wild as the first hour!

Advanced Member

Default Re: The fixed 3.872

An update note: the K band is hotter than before, 34.7/35.5 are hotter. In the NC Smokies, had a super short Ka alarm with a white unmarked park ranger at the southern welcome center. He had the gun pointed off to the driver side to read every car that passed, very low power and hard to detect. Also on top of the Newfound pass, a ranger was running Ka and difficult to detect due to the curves. But an easy Trooper C/O Ka west of Canton NC, two very easy C/O K bands in Maggie Valley, an easy County C/O stalker in Bama. I-40 in NC must be Vascar or I/O, lit red numbers displayed on the dash but no alarms by SUVs. If your unit is not up to normal performance, esp. front Ka, do send it in and have it checked out for my unit has come back even better. Happy Motoring.....

Professional
    west coast of the ___American Corporatocracy___ X-band is alive-deadly-expensive

nice
    thx for the update

Radar Fanatic

thankx for the update.

Advanced Member

I do believe that it was the heat that changed the values to make to unit go out of tune. Valentine stated over the phone, when they said to send the unit in, that they do go out of tune. I thought that super hetrodyne circuits are self adjusting, but looks like a fine adjustment is need to get the max out of the unit, component tollerances changing due to heat. But the unit was sent to me new with the LEDs not adjusted correctly, always a 2 LED alarm starting out. Working now! Happy motoring....

Good Citizen

It will be hard to argue that the 3.872 is not the best V1 ever built or the best dash mount radar detector available today. There might be other detectors available that do some of the functions and come close to the V1's sensitivity and performance, but will not match up overall to the insane range the Redline provides.

Advanced Member

We are all waiting to see the results of the GOL test when they hopefully will run the two hot units through all of the paces. The redline could be the new standard. Many members enjoy the redline and speak highly of it. What percent of increased range does the redline have over the V1 in all of the bands? Happy motoring......

Radar Fanatic

I'm also waiting for results of the GOL test but I'm really curious about IO on the Redline. I see alot of CO on the Redline. I hope that someway GOL can do a test on IO with the Redline and the V1.

Radar Fanatic

NA, what type of extreme heat do you thing you can avoid in the future?

Advanced Member

During the summer, I kept the unit mounted low so the sun light plus the unit's heat (it already runs very warm), is what I think happened to change the values some, plus my unit was not adjusted correctly to start with. Now, is it mounted above the RVM with the dots and the roof of the auto covering and hiding the V1 (Scotch Fasteners, All Weather, Dual Lock- better than Velcro from Walley World with Fletch-Tite glue sticking the plastic holder to one strip). A great place for it but the rear arrows suffer some due to the unit hid by the roof. Always try to keep the V1 covered, or out of the car, if possible if left in the hot sun to prevent excess heat during the summer is what most members state. How about a cut cloth (cover) raised with dots for venting to size on top of the V1 for those who go all the way to protect the unit? Some great members keep the AC blowing on the unit, not a bad ideal at all. But you know, after one adjustment, the V1 may keep it's tune longer and better after the inital long burn in and in the hot sun. Happy Trails.....