Default USB to RJ11 V1 power cable?

Guys,
    I tried searching but couldn't find much, I wish the search UI on this board was a bit more polished.

In any case, I have hardwired the V1 in one of my cars, but haven't gotten around to doing this on my daily driver yet.

Is there such a thing as a USB to RJ11 (telephone jack) cord to power the V1? With one of those I could use a dual USB adapter in my cigarette power source and charge my phone while powering the V1.

Are there DIY diagrams for this? I have crimped several types of cables and wouldn't mind splicing a USB cable and crimp some strands into an RJ11 connector, but I wonder if I should put a fuse/resistor in there since I don't want to damage my V1 with improper power.

Thanks for the advice!

-AlphaQUp

Professional

Default Re: USB to RJ11 V1 power cable?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
    Is there such a thing as a USB to RJ11 (telephone jack) cord to power the V1? With one of those I could use a dual USB adapter in my cigarette power source and charge my phone while powering the V1.

Thanks for the advice!

-AlphaQUp
    So just to make sure I get the correct picture, you're doing
    Cigarette Adapter--> Dual USB --> RJ11???

Why don't you just tap a fuse (with an "Add-a-Circuit" or similar) with the power cord provided with the V1?

EDIT: Oh I cannot read properly. What about hardwiring both your phone and your V1?

Experienced

USB only supplies 5VDC, and the V1 needs at least 11, so a mere cable splice wouldn't work.

chriskohtc: thanks, but at this point I'll just hardwire and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bradthemad View Post
    USB only supplies 5VDC, and the V1 needs at least 11, so a mere cable splice wouldn't work.
    Crap... you're right, I should have known better. Oh well, time to find a good power source in my daily driver and hardwire it at last! Do you have any suggestions on a good power source in a 1994 Civic? I asked this question in my other thread.

TIA,

-AlphaQUp

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
    chriskohtc: thanks, but at this point I'll just hardwire and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bradthemad View Post
    Crap... you're right, I should have known better. Oh well, time to find a good power source in my daily driver and hardwire it at last! Do you have any suggestions on a good power source in a 1994 Civic? I asked this question in my other thread.

TIA,

-AlphaQUp
    Step 1. Purchase voltmeter
    Step 2. Remove fuse cover panel.
    Step 3. Probe extra fuse slots for 12v that is switched with ignition.
    Step 4. Use a "fuse tap" in slot located in step 3 and hardwire V1.

Excellent, thanks guys.

-AlphaQUp
    Last edited by AlphaQUp; 11-03-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Newcomer

Find out if your cigarette lighter adapter is switched on/off by the key. That is a good place to get switched power for the V-1. The other source would be switched power going into radio if you can get access to wires, Tnx

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman59 View Post
    Find out if your cigarette lighter adapter is switched on/off by the key. That is a good place to get switched power for the V-1.
    I am glad to hear, because it is controlled by the ignition switch. Thanks for confirming, it's probably going to make my life easier.

-AlphaQUp

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman59 View Post
    Find out if your cigarette lighter adapter is switched on/off by the key. That is a good place to get switched power for the V-1. The other source would be switched power going into radio if you can get access to wires, Tnx
    He may have good luck since his Honda is a bit older but that advice doesn't hold true for most newer cars. The DC socket stays on after the car is switched off for 10 minutes. RAP is what GM calls is (retained accessory power), same thing that keeps the radio on after you pull the key.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    He may have good luck since his Honda is a bit older but that advice doesn't hold true for most newer cars. The DC socket stays on after the car is switched off for 10 minutes. RAP is what GM calls is (retained accessory power), same thing that keeps the radio on after you pull the key.
    And sometimes the "auxiliary power jacks" are left live at all times so that people can charge their cell phones. It's a feature!