Thread: NYC to VT

Default NYC to VT

Newbie here. Just ordered my V1 (rush delivery) and am planning a drive from NYC to VT next weekend. Any advice I should know about, like:

1. POP on or off?
    2. Will leos be using laser in NYS? CT? MA? VT?
    3. Do I need to get a laser shield for my front plate?

Other advice? Thanks much

Radar Fanatic

Beware that VT is one of those states where you can be fined for anything stuck to your windshield. A friend of mine got pulled over for his radar detector (no fine I don't think). Your best bet is probably a hardwire install with the RD as high on the windshield as you can get it, preferably hidden behind the tint.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Beware that VT is one of those states where you can be fined for anything stuck to your windshield. A friend of mine got pulled over for his radar detector (no fine I don't think). Your best bet is probably a hardwire install with the RD as high on the windshield as you can get it.
    What you said

Turn POP on! and You will see laser in each state if's its a nice day.

A LaserShield and VEIL is always a good idea, especially if you have a dark colored car

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Thanks to you both for the advice

oh BTW, are laser shields legal in NY and CT?

Radar Fanatic

Don't think so. They're very hard to see, though. You have to be on top of it to know it's there. It falls under any law against license plate covers.

Yoda of Radar

I'd use the laser shield. Screw legality.

I would try and get into Vermont as early as possible. The NY Interstates are in BEAUTIFUL condition and are beautiful to drive fast on. However there is a Trooper every damn mile :roll: VT AFAIK is much more relaxing and you'll make better time. VT also has some nice scenery on their sideroads.

There are also lots of Saab 900's running around in VT. I think every time I've been to that state I've left with 2 cars :shock:

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can fit a Saab in the back of the Navi

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Don't think so. They're very hard to see, though. You have to be on top of it to know it's there. It falls under any law against license plate covers.
    brick i wanted to ask you, and anyone else for that matter who has an accord 99-02 because we all pretty much have the same headlights and general front shape.

my question is how well does veil work on your car?
    whats your experience with laser and veil/lasersheild, have you had long laser alerts on the v1 indicating that the veil/lasershield is causing problems for the lidar gun targetting you? im basically trying to find out if it is has been effective for you or anyone else with an accord for that matter.

Radar Fanatic

It's hard to say without actually testing it. To tell you the truth I don't get lasered all that often, and last time it was a 5-6 second alert at 1000'+ with no countermeasures whatsoever. He was probably tracking me that time because his Ultralyte should have locked pretty much instantly given that I have a front plate.